Rules for Crossovers

This is the shared forum for all the comic and events of the 2007 webcomic event of the Crossover Wars.

Rules for Crossovers

Postby KAMics » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:05 pm

On the tagboard for Evil Overlords some have been speaking about a possibility of rules for Crossover Wars & I figured the forum would be a better spot for such an attempted list rather than a temporary tagboard.

Writer Rules

Don't kill (or rape, wound, other nasty things) another person's character without permission. (Well, duh!)

Don't pull solutions out of your ass! (Duh!, again :wink: )

Writer Suggestions

Try to avoid over-powered characters fighting underpowered characters. (Yes, it is possible to do some good character work with characters in a hopeless fight, but it can lead less talented authors to resort to ass pulls.)

Try to avoid over-powered or omnipotent characters, they are boring as hell! (Yes, even yours!)
The KAMics - Comic
The KAMics - Comic Mirror
KAMic's Kast - Who's Who
KAM's Fanart - Fanart
KAM's Books - My work in print
User avatar
KAMics
#1 CameoWhore
#1 CameoWhore
 
Posts: 1605
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2005 3:15 pm
Location: Locked in a trunk somewhere

Re: Rules for Crossovers

Postby Amon Star » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:33 pm

Cool, I'll do a few for the Forum side of things.

Forum Rules

Please acknowledge the different pacing involved. You can't have the effects of Forum actions appear immediately in the Comics, unless it was planned ahead of time.

Similarly, if a Forum event is taking place parallel to a Comic event, eg, The Final Battle, then don't do anything that would have to appear in the comic without permission. It only creates continuity errors. Example include attacking central characters or HUGE effects. A lot can happen in a chaotic situation and go unnoticed, so this shouldn't limit you too much. And this should need saying, but killing central characters is obliviously forbidden.

Finally, don't assume you have the right to do what you want and have what you want.

Heh, I admit I broke I few of those.
Last edited by Amon Star on Mon May 23, 2011 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Amon Star
Hardened Rookie
Hardened Rookie
 
Posts: 150
Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:20 am

Re: Rules for Crossovers

Postby Mae » Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:40 pm

*jumps up onto a small stage, a giant display of graphs, charts, statistics, and expert testimonies appearing behind her. She paces back and forth for a moment, adjusts her glasses, then taps the wooden pointer against the floor for attention as she stares at one side of the audience*

So! You want be a cross-over Warmonger? That's great. Now, according to my research and the think-tank I've employed, there are a few things that should to be considered before and/or during your campaign. Keep in mind that this is not an end-all, be-all, gospel from the cross-over comic gods. Results and mileage may vary.

First! Communication is the problem AND the answer. You need co communicate with your team, the writers/artists that you want to involve with your cross-over war, and any other groups you wish or allow to be involved with your endeavor. The two that take top priority should be your team and fellow writers/artists; your team for obvious reasons and your fellow writers/artists because, well, they're letting you muck around in their little universes. If you suddenly claim that you've killed one of your fellow writers/artists' characters (especially a main/prominent one), they're going to get mad.

Which brings us to our next point: You win some, you lose some. An army that steam-rolls it's way through each battle is boring to readers and can ruffle the feathers of your fellow writers/artists. Going back to communication here, talk out what's going to happen. Will your forces win? Will theirs drive back the invaders, and will your forces return at a later date to try again? Did your forces have to do a strategic withdrawal because the Grand High General forgot to take the muffins out of the oven before invading? Did you even have to fight?

*pauses, then points at a graph*

If you would turn your attention to graph A-1, I have some results from the think-tank on this matter. Our group indicated that a high level of what we'll call successful attempts is preferred; readers may not take you seriously if you lose every single battle. Your successes should be tempered with unsuccessful attempts, one unsuccessful to every six or so successes, and intentions to return at later dates with different tactics help create a sense of suspense. Comedic reasons for a success or lack thereof are entertaining, but unless you intend to have a slap-stick comic, comedy during your attempts should be used sparingly.

*whirls around, pulls down a projection screen, and starts a slide-show*


I've been using the word 'success' and 'unsuccessful' a bit. What do I mean by it? Simple: you do not have to use your army and crush everyone underfoot to win a battle. Diplomacy can work, especially if your army is looking at a world that would mesh well with your intentions and therefore provide you with willing allies. Kidnapping, blackmail, and extortion can get you supplies, technology, and cannon-fodder. Subterfuge in the form of feeding an unsuspecting characters info that to make them think you represent the 'good guys' or buying off corrupt characters is also effective. You could also use brainwashing, quietly and quickly snatch a characters and replace them with clones or robot look-alikes, or help a character through a incredibly difficult task in exchange for their promise to assist you, etc.

Successful means your strategy works. Unsuccessful means it fell through for whatever reason. Your tactics may even appear to have worked, only to fall through/backfire at a later date. Which can lead to more plot possibilities. Communication with your fellow writers/artists is key, and may lead to things that you didn't consider before! A fellow writer/artist who's running with you and has your war as canon in their comic may even ask you to do something special for them.

*turns off the slide-show, dramatically snaps the projection screen up, and points at some poll results*

When asking the think-tank on what character types should be included in a comic such as this, a total of fifteen types were suggested. When put to a vote, a Leader-type, a Brain-type, Militant-type, Comedic relief-type, and Mysterious-type were the top five choices. When asked about the qualities these types should have, our think-tank came up with the following:

*she rolls out a white-board and starts writing with a blue marker*

A Leader should be intelligent, diplomatic, and manipulative. He/she should know exactly what to say, do, or offer to get people to work for him, and at least have some knowledge in all methods/technologies that his/her forces are using. He/she should also be very charismatic; more than the promises, he/she needs to INSPIRE his/her underlings.

The Brain is the undisputed smart one in the bunch. He/she should spin wonders of Science and Technology as easily as a little old woman knits doilies. Given appropriate time (and storyline value), he/she can crack any code and fix any technology-based problem. Often, the Brain is recruited because the Leader saw genius where his/her peers saw only a mad scientist with crackpot theories.

What wonderful devices the Brain makes, the Militant uses with finesse on the field of battle. Militants are strong with a good deal of intelligence and charisma; not only is he/she fighter who can use a weapon, he/she is familiar with several forms of combat and knows how to effectively use most weapons. A Militant can also play the part of spy or assassin, and are usually the one to direct forces on the battlefield.

Comedy reliefs are not always slap-stick. Maybe they're a bit naive, maybe they have certain behaviours that are humorous. Also known as the 'plucky sidekick', they often occupy or aspire to the role of psudo-leader. They often share many of the same qualities as the Leader, but at the same time possess at least one quality or behaviour that holds them back. Uprisings and take-overs from within are usually instigated by the Comedy reliefs.

The Mysterious takes care of the things that the Brain and the Militant can't. Usually, they deal with the 'supernatural' areas, be it through magic, psychic powers, a faith, or a mystical object. However, they can just be an alien that has technology so far advanced that it looks like magic or something as mundane as a hypnotist that's good at brainwashing.

Now, you can mix and match these types all you want. You can have multiples of most of them -- I wouldn't suggest multiple Leaders or Comedy reliefs, since they'd be trying to undermine each-other -- and you can come up with more types if you choose. Keep this in mind, though: don't make your cast TOO big. Too many characters can dilute the plot, especially when there's a chance that you might be using cameos. And don't make your characters overpowered, no-one likes an invincible, all-knowing character that can't be scratched and turns all their foes into peanut-butter sandwiches.

*she flips the white-board over to the clean side, puts down the marker, and steps to the front of the stage*


Now! If you're an aspiring cross-over Warmonger and can take some of these suggestions to heart and use them OR if you're a Warmonger that I've based some of this on, then -- check this out, double thumbs-up for you -- good job! You can collect your gold-star stickers at the end of the seminar... unfortunately the cookies were stolen and devoured by the think-tank.

*she turns slightly to one side, staring at the other half of the audience as she casually hits the palm of her hand with the pointer*

Readers, Forum-goers, and Others That Are Not An Original Or Planned Part Of The War... this segment is for you! It is by the will of the Warmongers -- past, present, and/or future -- that you will or will not be allowed to participate in their war, and to what extent.

The words I want you to repeat are the following: Communication, humility, and acceptance. Ready? All together, now!

Communication.
Humility.
Acceptance.

Good!

*she points at a pie-chart that looks like Pac-man trying to eat a strand of hair*


Now, communication. Just like for the Warmongers, communication is the problem and the answer. More so, a problem. Think about it; the Warmongers are usually a small team that are outnumbered many times over by the Readers/Forum-goers/Others. If the Warmongers kept tabs on EVERYTHING you do, then they'd have an even more limited amount of time to... erm, monger their war. Especially if you're on several different forums, e-mailing, messaging, etc.. Never, EVER expect an immediate response; at best, be content if you get a quick note back three weeks later.

Humility. No matter how bad-ass and all-powerful you can make a character/forum-personality/whatever to participate, you shouldn't. Make the character bad-ass and all-powerful, I mean. In your head, you might think your self-insertion character is tough enough to take down the Warmongers all by your lonesome, but it's not going to happen. Tone it down and instead make something interesting that the Warmongers might be inspired to use. Not to toot my own horn here but I had a character that, honestly, had very little involvement with the last Crossover War -- real-life issues have an annoying habit of taking over -- yet managed to get someone's attention and got a couple cameos and later tapped for something a bit more significant... and the worst she did under my direct control was steal some salt shakers!

Also, humility extends to other Readers/Forum-goers/Others. Don't expect to be able to jump in halfway through the involvement and expect everyone to suddenly defer to you and make you their leader when someone else has already been given that role by popular demand. Respect is earned, mmkay?

Acceptance goes hand-in-hand with humility and communication. Accept that the Warmongers and your peers may not and probably will not turn you into The Big Hero. Accept that the Warmongers may not specifically include you or your actions/efforts. Accept that the Warmongers may be so busy that they can't answer you in a very timely manner.

Accept that you are an outside force, and that the Warmongers might out-and-out ignore you for the sake of the story.

The Warmongers and their fellow writers/artists are here to tell us a story. This story may or may not include you; and if they do include you, they may only include parts of what you do. They may even modify what you've done to better suit their story. Trying to hijack the story can lead to the Warmongers burning out and ending the comic abruptly.

*looks at watch*

And, that is all the time we have for today. Dr. Orcott's lecture will begin in a half-hour; I didn't get a copy of his notes, but what I heard in the lounge is correct, it should be a lesson on how to properly vacuum your toast. My next seminar will be Friday at 2pm, where we will be discussing the population of people in Massachusetts' with heterochromia versus the rubber-duck population in Wisconsin and the direct impact this has on Yankee Candle purchases.

Have a good day.
Standard deviantArt link --> http://kharybdis01.deviantart.com/
User avatar
Mae
Young and Foolish
Young and Foolish
 
Posts: 43
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:37 pm
Location: Hiding under your couch.

Re: Rules for Crossovers

Postby Hogan » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:21 pm

... how in the world can you say anything intelligent to add to follow up on Mae's lecture..? :o

I will be over here in the other thread, getting my jaw up and back in place, trying to digest all this...
Avatar is Hogan cameoing in Misfits of Mischief by ROAR
User avatar
Hogan
DM of Deities
 
Posts: 3628
Joined: Wed May 18, 2005 10:38 pm
Location: Denmark, Kingdom of Adventures

Re: Rules for Crossovers

Postby Mae » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:47 pm

Hogan wrote:... how in the world can you say anything intelligent to add to follow up on Mae's lecture..? :o

I will be over here in the other thread, getting my jaw up and back in place, trying to digest all this...

Massive Wall of Text scores a critical hit!
Hogan takes 50 points of damage...
Standard deviantArt link --> http://kharybdis01.deviantart.com/
User avatar
Mae
Young and Foolish
Young and Foolish
 
Posts: 43
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:37 pm
Location: Hiding under your couch.

Re: Rules for Crossovers

Postby littlebeast » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:42 pm

A few more things to keep in mind(which I learned the hard way) specifically for comic/forum interfacing. Mae's already covered most of the core, though :)

Forumites:
*Comics need to have relatively brief dialogue, so turn down the verbosity a bit. A post that seems very brief on a forum becomes a decent sized piece of comic dialogue, and a normal-sized post becomes a wall of text. Definitely don't post a forum wall-of-text and expect it to go into a comic word-for-word!
*There is a similar concern with pacing. A forum can easily move fast enough to take a few hours' worth of actions in the time a comic can perform a few minutes' worth. The counterpart, however, is that those few hours' worth will likely be a lot of filler, while the few minutes will be fairly important. Anycase, I can't think of any real solution to this problem, but just keep it in mind.
*Also remember: You are an unpredictable element in a story that likely already has its ending written. Therefore, if you do anything too groundbreaking, the comickers have the choice of rewriting the story, or removing those actions from canon. Most comickers(myself excluded, though) will probably go with the second option.

Comickers:
*Don't be afraid to cut out bits or summarize. If you try to show EVERYTHING that happens in-comic, you'll be finishing up page 10 of a thread by the time it gets to page 100. Also, it'll probably make for not very interesting comics.
*Do try to let the forumites have SOME influence on the plot. It's not any fun for them if you don't acknowledge their actions. In terms of scale, one forum should weigh into the plot about as much as one comic. It may be advisable to start with a rough outline of their expected actions, which defines their basic role in the conflict, but keep in mind that, whatever you do, you WILL have to modify the plot.


Another thought: For crossover wars in general, but especially ones with forums, it might make sense to have one person whose sole role is to keep informed on all the unexpected elements and modify the story as necessary. This should probably be the person who wrote the story in the first place. There should also probably be someone whose role it is to keep everyone else updated on what it is they're meant to be doing. These should probably not be the same person, as it's quite likely to be overwhelming. As Hogan can attest.
Obligatory link to my comic
I have currently have 1 ninja point here.
Current status: Nincada.
User avatar
littlebeast
Cursing Footman
Cursing Footman
 
Posts: 455
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:25 am

Re: Rules for Crossovers

Postby fesworks » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:38 pm

Without reading this thread, I have my own thoughts:

Anything in the forums (which is usually unscripted, barely regulated), cannot affect the main plot. It just can;t work because main plots are (and need to be) pre-written if any sort of planning and art schedule can be done. It's just ciaos.

Forum wars and forumites should be restricted to side plots, standalone stories, or have pre-understood terms of what can, and can't happen, and what must ultimately happen. I know that takes the impromtu role-playing out a bit, but for something like forum wars, (in respects to coinciding with a comic), must have a "Dungeon Master".

If a comic storyline is being based off of happenings of the forum, that's a bit different. However, there must be structured continuity for the comic storylines. Without that, and dozens of forumite essentially writting and rewritting within minutes (while comic plots can only be displayed in DAYS), it just won't work.
User avatar
fesworks
Charging Knight
Charging Knight
 
Posts: 1433
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:30 am
Location: Minnesota

Re: Rules for Crossovers

Postby ChroniclerC » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:33 pm

Way to completely ignore the contributions of others and, as a result, say absolutely nothing new.
Image
User avatar
ChroniclerC
Young and Foolish
Young and Foolish
 
Posts: 34
Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:25 am

Re: Rules for Crossovers

Postby DatabaseError » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:45 pm

Since I was mostly involved on the forum front, I'm going to post a little of my feelings about forumite involvement here. It's probably going to sound hugely hypocritical, since I (Jstone) was a loudmouth godmoder and general newbie during the 'wars, but my own actions in the whole thing are a major root of this.

Basically, I have a few general guidelines for what I think forum involvement should entail.

  • If forums are to be involved in the primary storyline, some form of semi-rigorous application process should be developed. Relatively open involvement is fine for spinoff RPs, but you don't want to have a huge gob of characters gumming up the main storyline, especially if said characters are poorly written or 'broken.' Writers that pass the application could be brought on board as actual "warmongers," keeping the story flowing better.
  • If you really, really want to involve as many forumites as possible, make a spinoff. And keep it a spinoff. A spinoff RP, along with a comic that trails behind and chronicles the thread, is a good way to involve the readers without forcing you to make concessions in the pre-planned story.
  • With regards to the above, any official spin-off RP must be moderated if it is to be considered semi-canon. This prevents the rampant godmoding that was a major problem among the forum part of the 'wars.
  • That being said, if the fans want to do unofficial RP threads and such, let them. Maybe even chuck in a few cameos and shoutouts. But don't let them take over and start running the asylum, like us Bunnies did in the Forum Wars.
Last edited by DatabaseError on Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Previously known as Jstone.
--
The Guide 2.0. A reformatted version of Jorlem's original Forum Wars guide.
User avatar
DatabaseError
Young and Foolish
Young and Foolish
 
Posts: 31
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:00 am
Location: L2 lagrange point.

Re: Rules for Crossovers

Postby Amon Star » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:17 pm

ChroniclerC wrote:Way to completely ignore the contributions of others and, as a result, say absolutely nothing new.

To be fair, he did say he hasn't read the Thread. Also, as a Forumite, more Forumite bashing (me included) is always a good thing.
Amon Star
Hardened Rookie
Hardened Rookie
 
Posts: 150
Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:20 am

Re: Rules for Crossovers

Postby DatabaseError » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:43 pm

Amon Star wrote:
ChroniclerC wrote:Way to completely ignore the contributions of others and, as a result, say absolutely nothing new.

To be fair, he did say he hasn't read the Thread. Also, as a Forumite, more Forumite bashing (me included) is always a good thing.


So, what's your opinion of my ideas?
Previously known as Jstone.
--
The Guide 2.0. A reformatted version of Jorlem's original Forum Wars guide.
User avatar
DatabaseError
Young and Foolish
Young and Foolish
 
Posts: 31
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:00 am
Location: L2 lagrange point.

Re: Rules for Crossovers

Postby fesworks » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:50 pm

ChroniclerC wrote:Way to completely ignore the contributions of others and, as a result, say absolutely nothing new.


I was basically saying that to give my personal view. Just because it may have been nothing new, doesn't mean that it doesn't count towards a consensus..,.. in fact, it seems it would help moreso. I was also speaking from my personal experience in the Crossover Wars.
User avatar
fesworks
Charging Knight
Charging Knight
 
Posts: 1433
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:30 am
Location: Minnesota

Re: Rules for Crossovers

Postby Amon Star » Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:37 am

DatabaseError wrote:
Amon Star wrote:
ChroniclerC wrote:Way to completely ignore the contributions of others and, as a result, say absolutely nothing new.

To be fair, he did say he hasn't read the Thread. Also, as a Forumite, more Forumite bashing (me included) is always a good thing.


So, what's your opinion of my ideas?

I liked them. Of course, Mae has already won the Thread, but useful additions never hurt.
Amon Star
Hardened Rookie
Hardened Rookie
 
Posts: 150
Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:20 am

Re: Rules for Crossovers

Postby DatabaseError » Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:57 am

Amon Star wrote:
DatabaseError wrote:So, what's your opinion of my ideas?

I liked them. Of course, Mae has already won the Thread, but useful additions never hurt.

I agree; Mae definitely won the thread. However, I'm always one for more granular rules, and the area that really seemed to need that was forum participation. I'd say that the most important thing would be developing the application process I described; Mae's guidelines are great, but not all forumites are going to follow them. And, as demonstrated during the 'Wars, a sufficiently determined munchkin can really derail an RP. (I myself demonstrated that; if things were properly moderated, my character would never have "made Admiral." That only happened because I [brick]pulled a bunch of ships and didn't shut up about them.) If said RP is directly involved in the forums, the warmongers basically have to ignore the entire thread and write their own script, which isn't fair the the forumites that were really trying to do a good job.
Previously known as Jstone.
--
The Guide 2.0. A reformatted version of Jorlem's original Forum Wars guide.
User avatar
DatabaseError
Young and Foolish
Young and Foolish
 
Posts: 31
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:00 am
Location: L2 lagrange point.

Re: Rules for Crossovers

Postby fesworks » Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:53 am

Finally read Mae's write up. It works, but is heavily focused on the Crossover WAR portion.

I'll back up and paraphrase and summarize general copyright/trademark, and normal etiquette:

A one-time cameo (not necessarily limited to merely one update) usually is alright for free-use, parody, or review use under copyright law, and typically the owner's won't care too much. However, I won;t go into cameos much here. While you may have some rights under free-use, also know that it doesn't protect you from being a dick or asshole about the whole thing.

Crossovers, not so much. I'm not going to go into defining what a crossover is, though. But I will say that using another person's works and characters for a significant part of a story you are doing (such as a crossover or a "not-crossover"), canon or non-canon, you should have permission from whom the work belongs to, and verify most every part of their property's script (speech, actions, and overall involvement).

Now, depending on who you are working with, it may not need to be as anal. For most of my crossover work, it's been a team effort, or I may script another character first. After scripting, I submit it for approval, and I usually need to adjust lines, or actions accordingly. So far I've been pretty good at grasping their characters to where I don't need to rewrite most parts of the story/plot to accommodate.

I've noticed during the Crossover Wars, that sometimes communication was poor, and certain scripts were misused, used out of place, or the wrong person used it, or some other undesired/unintended sequences happened. Not good. But nothing was *too* bad, except for maybe one instance. So... Communicate, and don't usurp the content/character's owner's wishes.

In my experience, people have sometimes had cameos of my characters that were *somewhat* canon, as far as the Crossover Wars or a Cameo Caper was concerned, but they were either not entirely accurate as to what was actually happening, or are completely non-canon as far as MY comic was concerned. As my characters were fairly represented, and it was only for a short stint, it didn't bother me so much. But really, I like to be asked first before people use my characters, so I can make sure that they would be representative of themselves. And I think that most people work in this mindset.

As someone who is wanting to borrow other people's characters and works, you must respect when they say "no".
User avatar
fesworks
Charging Knight
Charging Knight
 
Posts: 1433
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:30 am
Location: Minnesota

Re: Rules for Crossovers

Postby DatabaseError » Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:52 am

fesworks wrote:But nothing was *too* bad, except for maybe one instance


Only one instance was "too bad?" From what I saw, the entirety of the forum involvement was a massive cluster[bleep]. You talk about unintended sequences happening? The whole thing was an unintended sequence, and us forumers wanted a much bigger piece of the "pie" than we really deserved. Frankly, trying to make an RP part of the event made proper communication basically impossible; us forumers wanted to do our own thing in-forum, but that often conflicted with what was going to happen story-wise. The problem there is that you can't tell the forumites what's going to happen, because that spoils the entire story. So, basically, the entire FW involved the Bunnies and Wotchers (the boardies seemed to sit back more and let things happen,) charging ahead blindly and making large swaths of RP non-canon. Essentially, I'd consider the O:L and Keenfans comics to be the only real canon material to come out of the EGS forums.
Previously known as Jstone.
--
The Guide 2.0. A reformatted version of Jorlem's original Forum Wars guide.
User avatar
DatabaseError
Young and Foolish
Young and Foolish
 
Posts: 31
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:00 am
Location: L2 lagrange point.

Re: Rules for Crossovers

Postby fesworks » Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:02 pm

DatabaseError wrote:
fesworks wrote:But nothing was *too* bad, except for maybe one instance


Only one instance was "too bad?" From what I saw, the entirety of the forum involvement was a massive cluster[bleep]. You talk about unintended sequences happening? The whole thing was an unintended sequence, and us forumers wanted a much bigger piece of the "pie" than we really deserved. Frankly, trying to make an RP part of the event made proper communication basically impossible; us forumers wanted to do our own thing in-forum, but that often conflicted with what was going to happen story-wise. The problem there is that you can't tell the forumites what's going to happen, because that spoils the entire story. So, basically, the entire FW involved the Bunnies and Wotchers (the boardies seemed to sit back more and let things happen,) charging ahead blindly and making large swaths of RP non-canon. Essentially, I'd consider the O:L and Keenfans comics to be the only real canon material to come out of the EGS forums.


I was speaking from the comicker's perspectives, more than from the forum or forum/comic perspectives. But I'm not digging into any cans of worms.

As far the forum's "unintended sequence", it could have worked better if some ground rules were laid down first... though, of course, you could run into early spoilers, like you said. However, if their involvement was something on the side, and not apart of the main path, I believe that it could have worked out just great, actually. You could easily state that "X" must or must not happen, So-and-so can or can't be killed, and it all should end by a certain point, with such and such parameters. Kinda like a goal outline. Then their story is all about the journey.

Also, depending on how the main story is being worked on the ending of a side story could still somewhat affect it, depending on how it's handled. Like is a character or item is introduce (or even removed), or a new possibility opens up for an additional side quest, etc. Proper planning can easily help, especially if the comic portion is only partly or barely in conjuction with the side part.

OH! I should bring up my Jenny Everywhere and the Crossing Over Worlds comic. Originally, my Jenny story was just supposed to be a supplemental side story that happened in the background of the events of the Crossover Wars (as well as Jenny's own story). By the end, it ended up getting deeply involved with my main comic PSI (which was fully invested in the Wars at this point), and in turn, a big plot of the Crossover Wars themselves... this being the freeing of the comic prisoners from the EOU headquarters.

Now, that wasn't planned at all... however, it sorta was coming down to the wire, and people that were supposed to, or were planned to, take care of those end scenes, ended up not being able to do it... so since my characters were already in places, I had to do what I could to fill in the story's needs.... actually.... I think 90% of PSI's and Jenny's involvement was me covering for other people!! My guys weren't even supposed to leave PSI!!! I probably spent over a year on The Crossover Wars!! HOGAN! *I* am the one that should be chasing YOU with an ax!!!
User avatar
fesworks
Charging Knight
Charging Knight
 
Posts: 1433
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:30 am
Location: Minnesota

Re: Rules for Crossovers

Postby Amon Star » Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:08 pm

DatabaseError wrote:I agree; Mae definitely won the thread. However, I'm always one for more granular rules, and the area that really seemed to need that was forum participation. I'd say that the most important thing would be developing the application process I described; Mae's guidelines are great, but not all forumites are going to follow them. And, as demonstrated during the 'Wars, a sufficiently determined munchkin can really derail an RP. (I myself demonstrated that; if things were properly moderated, my character would never have "made Admiral." That only happened because I [brick]pulled a bunch of ships and didn't shut up about them.) If said RP is directly involved in the forums, the warmongers basically have to ignore the entire thread and write their own script, which isn't fair the the forumites that were really trying to do a good job.

As an aside, even if you were then how you are now, I reckon you still would have made Admiral. The DF was a VERY loose military, so roles went to who wanted them the most, and you were the player most interested in space combat. Let's be honest, if "Amon" made sub-commander by slagging of Ajac, and Broom-Head himself got the top stop by dropping cultural references, you being in charge of the Bunny's space fleet sound quite reasonable.
DatabaseError wrote:Only one instance was "too bad?" From what I saw, the entirety of the forum involvement was a massive cluster[bleep]. You talk about unintended sequences happening? The whole thing was an unintended sequence, and us forumers wanted a much bigger piece of the "pie" than we really deserved. Frankly, trying to make an RP part of the event made proper communication basically impossible; us forumers wanted to do our own thing in-forum, but that often conflicted with what was going to happen story-wise. The problem there is that you can't tell the forumites what's going to happen, because that spoils the entire story. So, basically, the entire FW involved the Bunnies and Wotchers (the boardies seemed to sit back more and let things happen,) charging ahead blindly and making large swaths of RP non-canon. Essentially, I'd consider the O:L and Keenfans comics to be the only real canon material to come out of the EGS forums.

This is why I like you, DBE. You say exactly what I'm thinking. In fact, I shall name you Mini Me. :P :lol:

Except the bit about the Wotchers. As far as I saw, they mostly behaved themselves. The Negotiations Thread notwithstanding, but they only started to Godmode in responce the Bunny actions and attitude.
fesworks wrote:Now, that wasn't planned at all... however, it sorta was coming down to the wire, and people that were supposed to, or were planned to, take care of those end scenes, ended up not being able to do it... so since my characters were already in places, I had to do what I could to fill in the story's needs.... actually.... I think 90% of PSI's and Jenny's involvement was me covering for other people!! My guys weren't even supposed to leave PSI!!! I probably spent over a year on The Crossover Wars!! HOGAN! *I* am the one that should be chasing YOU with an ax!!!

I SO want to see this in Comic!
Amon Star
Hardened Rookie
Hardened Rookie
 
Posts: 150
Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:20 am

Re: Rules for Crossovers

Postby DatabaseError » Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:45 am

Amon Star wrote:
DatabaseError wrote:I agree; Mae definitely won the thread. However, I'm always one for more granular rules, and the area that really seemed to need that was forum participation. I'd say that the most important thing would be developing the application process I described; Mae's guidelines are great, but not all forumites are going to follow them. And, as demonstrated during the 'Wars, a sufficiently determined munchkin can really derail an RP. (I myself demonstrated that; if things were properly moderated, my character would never have "made Admiral." That only happened because I [brick]pulled a bunch of ships and didn't shut up about them.) If said RP is directly involved in the forums, the warmongers basically have to ignore the entire thread and write their own script, which isn't fair the the forumites that were really trying to do a good job.

As an aside, even if you were then how you are now, I reckon you still would have made Admiral. The DF was a VERY loose military, so roles went to who wanted them the most, and you were the player most interested in space combat. Let's be honest, if "Amon" made sub-commander by slagging of Ajac, and Broom-Head himself got the top stop by dropping cultural references, you being in charge of the Bunny's space fleet sound quite reasonable.


By "properly implemented," I meant using the kind of rules I penned. As I was at the time of the CWs, I never would have been able to get my character recognized as Admiral, because that would be a major position, one that could have a big impact on plot, and it was quite obvious that I was a munchkin. As I am now, I'd stand a much better chance of gaining that position in a properly moderated RP, however.

On another note, the reason I say I only made Admiral because I pulled stuff out of thin air is because it's mostly correct. If I were to do everything again, my character most likely would have remained much the same as he was in the beginning: Meaning no sudden personal space fleet, which means no de-facto Admiralty. It's true that I probably would have petitioned to be given the title, if it were made available, but there's a chance that I'd lose out to either a better RPer or a more charismatic one; which one, however, is a matter of how unmoderated and "community-driven" the RP is. Also, if it were the exact same rp, with the only difference being that it was current me, I most likely wouldn't have been given that position: The only reason we ended up with an "Admiral" as early as we did was because of me, and once Ajac got as much control as he eventually did, he started appointing people he liked to positions of power. Since Ajac and I don't get along as much now, (long story involving metaphysical debate and possible delusions of godhood on the part of one party,) he never would have picked my character :P.
Previously known as Jstone.
--
The Guide 2.0. A reformatted version of Jorlem's original Forum Wars guide.
User avatar
DatabaseError
Young and Foolish
Young and Foolish
 
Posts: 31
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:00 am
Location: L2 lagrange point.

Re: Rules for Crossovers

Postby Amon Star » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:18 am

DatabaseError wrote:By "properly implemented," I meant using the kind of rules I penned. As I was at the time of the CWs, I never would have been able to get my character recognized as Admiral, because that would be a major position, one that could have a big impact on plot, and it was quite obvious that I was a munchkin. As I am now, I'd stand a much better chance of gaining that position in a properly moderated RP, however.

On another note, the reason I say I only made Admiral because I pulled stuff out of thin air is because it's mostly correct. If I were to do everything again, my character most likely would have remained much the same as he was in the beginning: Meaning no sudden personal space fleet, which means no de-facto Admiralty. It's true that I probably would have petitioned to be given the title, if it were made available, but there's a chance that I'd lose out to either a better RPer or a more charismatic one; which one, however, is a matter of how unmoderated and "community-driven" the RP is. Also, if it were the exact same rp, with the only difference being that it was current me, I most likely wouldn't have been given that position: The only reason we ended up with an "Admiral" as early as we did was because of me, and once Ajac got as much control as he eventually did, he started appointing people he liked to positions of power. Since Ajac and I don't get along as much now, (long story involving metaphysical debate and possible delusions of godhood on the part of one party,) he never would have picked my character :P.

I know about you and Ajac. I was at Tselot, or whatever it as called, too.

That aside, it wasn't just favouritism that got Bunnies positions. However, we are severely tangenting at this point, so lets get back on topic.

If there is another CW, and if there is Forum involvement, which I consider I bad idea, then whoever is in charge of moderating that side needs official power. By this they need authority from the main organizers to kick any character or thing out of the CW. Otherwise, they will get ignored.
Amon Star
Hardened Rookie
Hardened Rookie
 
Posts: 150
Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:20 am


Return to Crossover Wars

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron