Webcomic artist cameos!?

Announcements, news about the Webcomic Crossover & Cameo Archive, as well as ideas for new features.

Moderator: Hogan

Webcomic artist cameos!?

Postby Hogan » Tue May 24, 2005 9:22 pm

By popular demand (well, 1 or 2 people DID ask!), I've tinkered with the idea of adding cameos and appearences of the artist of the comics themselves to the entries.

So far I've done it to the entries of CRFH, Nukees and El Goonish Shive as a test.

But what do you think? Does it look and sound awkard? Is it something I shouldn't include?

Feedback appreciated!

- Hogan
Hogan
DM of Deities

Postby Mravac Kid » Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:55 pm

Well, if you feel up to it, then go ahead. Just be sure you make a cutoff at some point, because soon you'll start thinking of adding real people cameos too... and there's tons of those about. :-/

And don't forget, DamonK has cameos in pretty much every comic in existence... :)
Ride The Wild Wind - Push the envelope, don't sit on the fence
Ride The Wild Wind - Live life on the razor's edge
Mravac Kid
Hardened Rookie
Hardened Rookie

Postby KAM » Tue Jul 19, 2005 12:12 pm

I think there is a difference between a webcomic artist cameo & a real person cameo... er... not that webcomic artists aren't real people. :wink:

However a webcomic artist can be a way to refer to another comic without bringing in the baggage that using one of the comics characters could bring.

A comic like Avalon struck me as being basically realistic so having a cameo appearance by another comic's character could spoil the realism, especially if the comic contained unrealistic elements (aliens, furries, magic, superscience, superheroes, 4th wall breaking, etc.).

On the other hand some comics use real people as characters (for instance CJ Burgandy's comics features her friends, although in some cases unrealistically) so I suppose in some cases you could have a non-artist real person make a cameo in another comic as a ref.

Maybe I should stop thinking about this before Hogan's head explodes? :wink:
KAM

Postby Hogan » Mon Jul 25, 2005 12:16 am

KAM wrote:A comic like Avalon struck me as being basically realistic so having a cameo appearance by another comic's character could spoil the realism, especially if the comic contained unrealistic elements (aliens, furries, magic, superscience, superheroes, 4th wall breaking, etc.).

You've forgotten the Boxjam cameo?
Granted, it WAS around Halloween! :twisted:

KAM wrote:On the other hand some comics use real people as characters (for instance CJ Burgandy's comics features her friends, although in some cases unrealistically) so I suppose in some cases you could have a non-artist real person make a cameo in another comic as a ref.

Well, in the last days of It's Walky! where the Martian battle raged, David Willis brought in cameos of lots of RL-friends and boardies (A lot of those were webartist in their own right, so I'll probably end up adding them anyway... :? ).
And to make it worse, most of the SEMME-members throughout the comic's history, were also based on RL-Friends and Boardies, so there would be plenty of work for me should I be inclined to do so! :shock:

In AaaSoC, Chris Tout is currently running with a Resistance that is also made completelt out of RL-friends and boardies! For example, check out the handsome, tough axe-wielding guy to the left in the middle frame of this strip ! :wink:

KAM wrote:Maybe I should stop thinking about this before Hogan's head explodes? :wink:

Toooo laaaaate.... :?
Avatar is Hogan cameoing in Misfits of Mischief by ROAR
Hogan
DM of Deities

Postby KAM » Mon Jul 25, 2005 8:22 am

Hogan wrote:You've forgotten the Boxjam cameo?

Actually I did remember it, I just thought it was a guest comic or something. D'oh!

KAM wrote:Maybe I should stop thinking about this before Hogan's head explodes? :wink:

Hogan wrote:Toooo laaaaate.... :?

Oh man! This was a new shirt too! Yuck! :wink:
KAM

Postby Tim Tylor » Mon Feb 06, 2006 3:37 am

I like the idea, if you're still doing it.
Tim Tylor
Awestruck Listener
Awestruck Listener

Return to The Archive