5 years in the making...

Announcements, news about the Webcomic Crossover & Cameo Archive, as well as ideas for new features.

Moderator: Hogan

5 years in the making...

Postby Hogan » Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:13 pm

A good number of years ago I was hanging out in an IRC-channel now dusty and forgotten, among webcomickers and readers of said webcomics. It was about a year after I had discovered webcomics and entered the strange and exiting communities they opened into. At that time I was probably only reading and knowing a dozen comics, but I had already witnesses the power of webcomic crossovers, with the notorious It’s Walky! / Melonpool crossover being the first I experienced firsthand, as well as the joy of cameos (notably the cameos in the last days of It’s Walky! where friends of David Willis, as well as readers and friends of me from the forums, got to take part, and both I and a lot of friends from the IRC-channels had been honorary starring in Chris Tout’s AaaSoc.

I had always enjoyed crossovers and cameos in comics, from the myriad crossing over between the various Marvel comics I read as a teenager, to the Easter eggs when the same comics, as well as movies, hid references and cameos to other comics and evens, some hidden, some openly… Popeye hiding among the guests at the Shi’ar ball comes to my mind :)

The enjoyment was given new fire when I discovered the possibilities through webcomics, but already then I noticed that great cameos and references tend to be forgotten as soon as the initial enjoyment was over… a characters appearance in another comic may be referenced and posted at any forum or blog associated with his or hers comic of origin, but the notice would soon be engulfed by future thread and posts, where new readers would miss out on it unless they by chance discover said post or read the comic containing the cameo… and somehow, in the back of my mind, I played with the idea of creating a site of some kind that could store those cameos and references, “remembering” them… I never took that idea any further.

However… on the 12 of February 2005, two webcomics of which the authors hang out in the IRC-channels, both celebrated the return of the character Mike in the comic of Shortpacked! , the sequel to It’s Walky! , and somehow, in the middle of the merriment of those independent cameos celebrating the same event, I decided to do the Archive. For the next to days I experimented with a setup for the site as well as making up a general and easy copyable system to store the various cameos/references/crossovers, to which I had great help from friends on IRC, and on the 14th of February 2005, the Archive officially went live… with a smashing 5 entries and some 12 recorded events!

Now, 5 years later The Webcomic Cameo & Crossover Archive holds entries for almost 2000 different webcomic, and has recorded an untold number of events... it has spawned events like the Crossover Wars and the annual Cameo Capers and it has managed to give my own avatar a webcomic life outside my control...

Working on the Archive has brought me into contact with a lot of people worldwide, people I consider friends and associates, people I can work and chat with, even though there’s a number of them I at the same time would like to present to the business end of my axe for all the work they have given me over the years… and keep giving me :-)

… and yet again, its their work that keeps me going, that adds to my enjoyment of the many webcomics out there, of which I keep adding more and more to my reading list.

One once asked me why I, since new cameos and crossovers keep popping up almost daily, keep on working on the site as I never will be able to catch up. The reason is easy… I enjoy it :-) It’s a hobby I always can go back to, there will always be something I can work on, and though the Archive cannot exactly be called wellknown or wellvisited (the two-digit number of daily visitors speak for themselves), it has generated enough feedback over the years for me to consider it well worth the time and efforts I have put into it.

I would like to dedicate today and the 5 years that has let to here to those who have helped me along the way, to all those who either in the forum or by mail has contributed with submissions of cameos, crossovers and references between webcomics, to those who have helped spread the words about the Archive, to those who have jumped on the bandwagon of any crazy scheme the Archive has spawned, and have send the boulder rolling with a magnitude few would have thought possible.

This is to you, and this is to 5 years more… at least. :cheers:

Now, to celebrate the 5 year anniversary of the Archive, I had planned a lot of things… a shining up of the entire site, new features etc…. unfortunately the last couple of months have not been kind to me, my time, nor my work on the Archive, so nothing have come of all those plans…

However, I will present on thing I had planned… a contest!

Below is a word-puzzle made by none other than our own KAM (who bought himself a 15 seconds head start with that)… who off course is barred for taking part in this contest!

Inside the word puzzle are hidden the names of 48 different webcomics… some wellknown, some obscure, some lost, some still going strong…

Whoever sends me, either by PM or mail, the most names of the hidden comics will receive the prize. Should two or more people get the same number right, the Goddess or Luck, also known as Mrs. H, will draw lots between them to find the winner…

As for the prize, then another of my plans at this point was to have the Archive’s shop updated and refitted with hopefully lots of fun and interesting items… not that I expect to really sell anything, but there's always the fun in creating the stuff :-)

Unfortunately that plan too fell to the ground. However, though cut short, the prize will still be one item of ones own choice from the Shop!

It may not be much, but this is mostly for the fun and celebrational event… bragging rights are off course included ;-)

Deadline is by the end of the month of February.

Avatar is Hogan cameoing in Misfits of Mischief by ROAR
Hogan
DM of Deities

Re: 5 years in the making...

Postby KAMics » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:40 pm

Wiigii!

Congratulations!
The KAMics - Comic
The KAMics - Comic Mirror
KAMic's Kast - Who's Who
KAM's Fanart - Fanart
KAM's Books - My work in print
KAMics
#1 CameoWhore
#1 CameoWhore

Postby Hogan » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:25 pm

Thanks KAM :cheers:

Also, in case there are Star Pirates players among the participatins in this (which there are since I put this up in the forums there too), then the prize of 3 Months of Notorious (makes no sense unless you are there) is chooseable too! :mrgreen:
Hogan
DM of Deities

Postby Hogan » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:53 am

Last head's up on this... deadline is considered when I wake up and check in in the morning ;)
Hogan
DM of Deities

Postby Hogan » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:16 pm

Aaand I'm up... which means the deadline has been reached and no further submitting is possible :)

Actually, with the the overall 3 submissions I received on this, as well as judging from the general lack of response here, on the blog, as well as in the Star Pirates forum, I consider it a good thing I only do the Archive-project for my own interest and hobby...

Edit: But here is the list of righ answers:

Hogan
DM of Deities

Postby Hogan » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:21 pm

Okay, the only reason it took me so long to announce the winners was that I once again had a serious case of RL on my hand...

But... with 3 submissions, and one of them telling me not to take his serious, I got 2 left... and since those two were the only ones who bothered to participate, I've made the decision that they are both winners! 8)

Therefore, the winners of the first and last Crossover & Cameo Comic WordPuzzle Contest is...

Fluffy of Busybee Comics , for finding more comics than was supposed to be in the puzzle :D

Merkul of Star Pirates , for finding 40 comics in the puzzle... not all of them supposed to be there :P

A salute to these two, they know their comics well! :cheers:
Hogan
DM of Deities

Postby KAMics » Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:01 pm

Okay, what comics did they find in there that I didn't intentionally put in?

Also why did you put up the puzzle without the list of comics that had been provided? (Had I known you were going to do that I might changed some of the comics I put in.)
The KAMics - Comic
KAMic's Kast - Who's Who
KAM's Fanart - Fanart
KAMics
#1 CameoWhore
#1 CameoWhore

Postby Hogan » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:02 am

KAMics wrote:Also why did you put up the puzzle without the list of comics that had been provided? (Had I known you were going to do that I might changed some of the comics I put in.)

Well, I must admit that in the last minute I decided that it would be more of a challenge if it was now show which comics were in it, I think I feared too many would end up with a complete list... :?

In hindsight, it was probably the wrong choice, most likely, but with the number of submission, who can tell?
But, when looking at the list given hereunder, it probably WAS the wrong choice... :(

KAMics wrote:Okay, what comics did they find in there that I didn't intentionally put in?

Well, in Fluffy's words:

Fluffy wrote:These are all comics listed at thewebcomiclist and which appear in the word search. There's a few more than 48. :D

al
alice
am
ardra
ark
au
avalon
bc
bf
bladeoftoshubi
bob
box
bruno
c
cameocomic
candi
caseyandandy
ccc
crimsondark
dark
darken
death
dedend
deo
ding
doods
dt
duelinganalogs
eden
ei
elo
emma
eternity
ev
eviloverlordsunited
evo
fans
fd
file
fr
freelance
fu
fyl
g
girly
gnoph
gs
gunnerkriggcourt
he
i
ic
ice
ilu
irl
isr
j
jk
joe
lan
leo
li
lif
ls
meg
megatokyo
melonpool
mijimeda
mindmistress
mist
mistress
moe
mx
nb
nn
nukees
nyc
of
ooc
over
oy
p
pawn
pov
queenofwands
read
revol
roguesofclwydrhan
run
s
sed
sinfest
sluggyfreelance
tea
tfoe
the
uc
uni
vi
w
x
xg
xkcd
xx
y
z
zed
zo
Hogan
DM of Deities

Postby KAMics » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:56 pm

I didn't realize there were so many webcomics with single or double letters. :shock:

Although since it was a crossover & cameo word search I used the big list on the crossovers page & whittled it down.
The KAMics - Comic
KAMic's Kast - Who's Who
KAM's Fanart - Fanart
KAMics
#1 CameoWhore
#1 CameoWhore

Return to The Archive