The Archive Needs a Makeover

Announcements, news about the Webcomic Crossover & Cameo Archive, as well as ideas for new features.

Moderator: Hogan

The Archive Needs a Makeover

Postby Hogan » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:36 pm

I think its time to start this thread up again, cause I'm getting back to thinking about doing something about it...

Generally the title says it all, the Archive could use a makeover in order to make it more attractive, functionel and useable.
For the last 4 years the Archive has been based on my meager html-skills, spiced with a little CSS coding and php-linking action with a help from a friend... and frankly I think that should be improveable, and judging by comments, tips and hints from friend and foes, it is...

Furthermore, there may be easier ways to update and keep the various entries in the Archive, as well as helping the users browse through it...

I've done my thoughts on the matter at hand so far, and this is some of the things I'm keen to keep in whatever comes up when the makeover takes place...

For preferences in the general setup of the page I have, as of now, the following:

- Changing of files is to be done offline to be uploaded en mass later
- The coding for the Archive must be no more advanced than I will still be able to make any needed tweekings and changes myself
- I will still be the only to be able to update, work on and change the Archive.
- It shall be possible to link directly to individual entries in the Archive, keeping the layour and build-up intact.

As for preference in the layout, at the moment I only have the following:

- I would like to keep the background in the black somehow, I think it makes for the best standard contrast to banners etc...
- I would like the list of entries to somehow be available on the main page in its full length (though perhaps in a kind of roll-downs per starting letters?), no needing to enter various pages alfabetically...

This is some basic ideas for changs in the layour that were previously put up...

Suggestion 1

The idea of moving all the external buttons up to be ever-present on the main page. I like this and may do it soon anyway.

Suggestion 2

Mrs. H's suggestion of using strips as backgrounds, creating a more dynamic page + changing some of the fonts.
I find the idea interesting, but even more the suggestion of making the background a mix of characters in lineart from various comics, done negative inverted with white lines on black, and its something I would like to try for a test if I could get my hands on such a bunch of character lineouts...

This is what I have to work on, but the reason I post it here is to ask everyone for suggestions, advice and comments. Not only with regard to the layout and setup on the Archive after the makeover, but also with suggestions on ways to do it, to program it, etc.

Any help is welcome and appreciated! :-)
Avatar is Hogan cameoing in Misfits of Mischief by ROAR
Hogan
DM of Deities

Postby fesworks » Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:13 am

I still highly recommend you switch to a "closed" Wiki system, where you have all the control, and perhaps trust a few of us to help you out like a team.

This is the most ambitious and time-consuming suggestion, And would probably need to be worked on "behind the scenes" for months before it is actually released to the public.

I only bring this up again because it must have been lost in the forum wipe :P

....ANYWAY....

Suggestion 1 is the cleanest looking, but didn;t really seem all the different.

Suggestion 2 need the title to be cleaned up better for transparency, and the background images should be faded a bit more.
fesworks
Charging Knight
Charging Knight

Postby Hogan » Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:45 am

fesworks wrote:I still highly recommend you switch to a "closed" Wiki system, where you have all the control, and perhaps trust a few of us to help you out like a team.

This is the most ambitious and time-consuming suggestion, And would probably need to be worked on "behind the scenes" for months before it is actually released to the public.

I only bring this up again because it must have been lost in the forum wipe :P

Well, you did bring it up before the Hack&Crash and I gave it quite some contemplation :) However, as far as I know Wiki is an online-only operation, and the way I do it now, making the files ready offline before uploading en mass at the end of the day, I', pretty satisfied with, especially when it comes to backups of which I will always have the site 100% offline.

Still not 100% opposed to anything if new informations turn up.

fesworks wrote:Suggestion 1 is the cleanest looking, but didn;t really seem all the different.

Actually the only real changes in this layout, is the moving of the various buttons to a permanent placement on the main page. Just one change to be carrious out in combination with others.

fesworks wrote:Suggestion 2 need the title to be cleaned up better for transparency, and the background images should be faded a bit more.

Yeah, again just a quick layout to test the idea... the "comicstrip" background will probably be replace by background consisting of negative inverted B&W comic characters if I can get permission to use a bunck of different characters as a test...
Hogan
DM of Deities

Re: The Archive Needs a Makeover

Postby Hogan » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:12 pm

Something wicked is going on on this subject... ;)
Hogan
DM of Deities

Postby Hogan » Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:36 pm

Okay, something wicked only went bad, so the major expected overhaul of the Archive has been postponed... indefinitely... :|

So, instead I will concentrate on adding small changes along the way, helpful updates that hopefully will make the site more useful for readers and make them repeated readers! :)

One thing I have been looking at, is a feature for automatically bookmarking any specific entry in the Archive for, hopefully, returning checking in he future...

Feedback on whether that would be something useable would be appreciated!

I've set up the feature as a test on The KAMics (few ever get to the bottom of that list...;) ), incorporated at the bottom of the entry... give it a shot and tell me how it works for you....

The KAMics Cameo Entry

More to come along the way in the future
Hogan
DM of Deities

Postby Hogan » Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:58 am

Okay, had a friend test the above mentioned gimmick and found out it didn't work out with Chrome nor Opera... looks like I will have to find another way of coding it if it shall become a throughout available option...

The questions is still... is it an option that would be useable and wanted? I would like some feedback on this...
Hogan
DM of Deities

Postby fesworks » Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:58 am

I think making a WordPress site with using a plugin that allow wiki-like links might be a good idea for a complete overhaul. You should be able to copy-paste (right from the browser) to avoid retyping everything. Only would need to change how you link to other comic archive profiles.

I'm currently working on The Shifter Archive like that. Though its way more work since it involves comics and images.
fesworks
Charging Knight
Charging Knight

Postby Hogan » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:52 am

fesworks wrote:I think making a WordPress site with using a plugin that allow wiki-like links might be a good idea for a complete overhaul. You should be able to copy-paste (right from the browser) to avoid retyping everything. Only would need to change how you link to other comic archive profiles.

That... sounds like something that requires quite some time to work with... which I don't have... but I will look into it! :cheers:
Hogan
DM of Deities

Postby fesworks » Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:00 am

Actually, if you could give me space and WordPress, I could slowly work on it. It'd be a hell of a lot easier than redoing each page in HTML. I'm also sure I could put together a team.
fesworks
Charging Knight
Charging Knight

Postby Hogan » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:17 pm

Hogan wrote:Okay, had a friend test the above mentioned gimmick and found out it didn't work out with Chrome nor Opera... looks like I will have to find another way of coding it if it shall become a throughout available option...

The questions is still... is it an option that would be useable and wanted? I would like some feedback on this...

And, to follow up on the work on the "Bookmark this entry"-option, the above mentioned friend has helped me put together something that should work in most browsers. Chrome may be an exception to this, but the others made the test! :D

At the point of writing the option has been added to the entries of The KAMics as well as The Chronicles of Avernyght and I plan to add it to the rest of the entries as I work along.

If any has anything to comment/suggest to this new option, let me know, as well as if there's a specific entry you would like to see updated with the option right as of now!
Hogan
DM of Deities

Return to The Archive