The Halloween 2014 Caper... where to host it?

Get behind the veil of fog and visit the site of the 2014 Caper, Kokotomo, The Fantasy Island!

Moderators: Hogan, AggieJanicot

Where to host the 2014 Halloween Caper?

In a Pyramid / Ancient Egypt
No votes
Under the Sea/ R'lyeh
No votes
The Northpole / Antarctic
No votes
Comic Convention
18%
Ponyland
No votes
Lavender Town
9%
Abandoned Summer Camp
No votes
The Net
No votes
Tropical Island
55%
Oz
18%

Total votes : 11

Re: The Halloween 2014 Caper... where to host it?

Postby GabrialFox » Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:14 pm

It's too bad, I don't think Kitty will be available for this years crossover... Clothing optional is right up her alley! Poor Fox on the other hand is apparently going to have a lot to deal with. I'm guessing at least a couple headsplosions are due this time 'round. ^.^
The grey fox from over at Hey Fox.
GabrialFox
Green Apprentice
Green Apprentice

Postby Hogan » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:01 pm

GabrialFox wrote:It's too bad, I don't think Kitty will be available for this years crossover... Clothing optional is right up her alley! Poor Fox on the other hand is apparently going to have a lot to deal with. I'm guessing at least a couple headsplosions are due this time 'round. ^.^

Poor Fox... Lucky us! :D

Also, it's now also possible to vote through Drunk Duck's forum
Avatar is Hogan cameoing in Misfits of Mischief by ROAR
Hogan
DM of Deities

Postby KarabearComics » Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:53 am

We should get it mentioned on Comic Fury, too. Drunk Duck's forums are too often rather dead (caused a lot by that kerfuffle of the site going down for an extended period of time), but Comic Fury is always bustling. And there are plenty of people there that seem like they'd love to jump into such a project.
All the bad things in life only help you appreciate the good even more.
KarabearComics
Squire in Training
Squire in Training

Postby Hogan » Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:08 pm

KarabearComics wrote:We should get it mentioned on Comic Fury, too. Drunk Duck's forums are too often rather dead (caused a lot by that kerfuffle of the site going down for an extended period of time), but Comic Fury is always bustling. And there are plenty of people there that seem like they'd love to jump into such a project.

Yeah, I was planning to copy it to Comic Genesis and The Fantasy Comic Portal but haven't come this far in the plans as of yet...
Comic Fury is a good suggestion, I'll add that to the list :-)

At last, everyone should feel free to spread the words around, be it in blogs, facebook, forums etc, the farther we reach, the more likely new faces to appear in the Caper will be!
If you make a post about it in a new forum, do link it here, then I'll keep an eye on it and tally votes for the final count :-)
Hogan
DM of Deities

Postby GabrialFox » Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:53 pm

Do we have an invitation in the works? It's a lot easier to link to that then it is to link to the forum in general, and I think people might be more inclined to participate for the first time when the decisions (location, etc) have already been made and they aren't expected to have to help decide.

Just a thought,
/Fox
GabrialFox
Green Apprentice
Green Apprentice

Postby Hogan » Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:45 pm

GabrialFox wrote:Do we have an invitation in the works? It's a lot easier to link to that then it is to link to the forum in general, and I think people might be more inclined to participate for the first time when the decisions (location, etc) have already been made and they aren't expected to have to help decide.

Just a thought,
/Fox

And a good thought that is...
As soon as we got the setting nailed Down we will whip up a fitting invitation (probably while I visit certain Partners in Crime in NL) so we can start netting in the participants, hopefully getting an even more varied response this year. :)

Also, a thread for this has now also been opened on the Fantasy Comic Portal with possibility for casting votes on the setting there too...
Hogan
DM of Deities

Postby GabrialFox » Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:28 am

Here's an idea:

http://entervoid.com

The Void is a sort of perpetual crossover comic in competition form and is super active. Might be a fun place to drop an invite for a bunch of cameo opportunities and maybe even some participation.

Cheers!
GabrialFox
Green Apprentice
Green Apprentice

Postby Keybounce » Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:59 pm

Hmm ...

Tropical Island: Potentially small, hard to keep groups separate in different concurrent activity threads.

Print version of Oz: Can you imagine the cameos from lawyers as we explain public domain? Just imagine all the partially visible circles, in pairs, just beyond the horizon, as if someone were listening in ...

It's large enough to keep people separate -- heck, large enough for people to get lost in. Different authors/artists will have different ideas of what the different lands are like, and might even fit as not every part of land X will look alike, no more than all parts of texas look alike.

Heck, it's large enough -- Baum did a great job of detailing the geography around Oz, as well as hinting at the politics of the lands -- that artists with a larger book background will probably want to show off what they know as part of their contribution to the crossover. But that makes it harder on artists who don't.

In the end, the need to meet at areas that all artists know how to draw actually works against Oz. It's too big.

So a simple island, too small; Oz, too big; what we need is something in-between. Perhaps a larger island; maybe one that has a volcanic center, some forested lakes, some nice beaches, at least one good water fall, and at least one exposed (tiny! Lets not destroy the island too quickly) lava flow out from the center.

Hmm ... if the concept of "theme" has not been worked on yet, and crossovers generally have some sort of portal from home to the crossover point, and a simple small island is too small, maybe there's a bunch of small islands, with portals running from island to island. Maybe the portals are broken, and the characters have to get them up and working again. (Maybe there's a big fog, a cyan colored mist, coming in from the oceans ... naah, that would be too obvious :-).
"So my Mom left me a huge heap of molding, rotten, decaying, puss-dripping zombies ... How cool is that?"

"So what is your advice to me?"
"Stop doing stupid crap."
Keybounce
Squire in Training
Squire in Training

Postby Hogan » Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:58 pm

Hi Keybounce, long time not see! :cheers:

Yep, there's a lot of potential in the Tropical Island, which many seems to agree on, but the voting is not over yet! :p

... but I will keep you ponderings about the way of "transporting" in mind.. hmm... mist ;)

Also, on a general note, now its also possible to vote through the forums of Comicfury!
Hogan
DM of Deities

Postby KAMics » Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:58 pm

Keybounce wrote:Tropical Island: Potentially small, hard to keep groups separate in different concurrent activity threads.

Only if we're talking a Far Side Island. The main island of Hawaii is quite big and a tropical island.

Keybounce wrote:Maybe the portals are broken

Well stop tearing the pages out of the linking books! :wink: Atrus is an ass, letting me fall into the void like that! *razzenfrazzenmumblegrumble*
The KAMics - Comic
The KAMics - Comic Mirror
KAMic's Kast - Who's Who
KAM's Fanart - Fanart
KAM's Books - My work in print
KAMics
#1 CameoWhore
#1 CameoWhore

Postby KAMics » Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:11 pm

Hogan wrote:but I will keep you ponderings about the way of "transporting" in mind..

The Minnow? :shock: The mate was a mighty sailing man, the skipper brave and sure... :mrgreen:
The KAMics - Comic
KAMic's Kast - Who's Who
KAM's Fanart - Fanart
KAMics
#1 CameoWhore
#1 CameoWhore

Postby Hogan » Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:17 pm

KAMics wrote:
Hogan wrote:but I will keep you ponderings about the way of "transporting" in mind..

The Minnow? :shock: The mate was a mighty sailing man, the skipper brave and sure... :mrgreen:

... being an old Melonpool-reader I can guarentee that there now WILL be a "hidden cove" somewhere on this Island! :D
Hogan
DM of Deities

Postby Hogan » Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:27 pm

Allright, the deadline has been reached and breached and the final results, collected from all the voting-places around the net are as follows:

Comic Convention: 2 votes
Oz: 2 votes
Ponyland: 1 vote
Tropical Island: 6 votes

So... get your trunks and bikikis guys and gals, because we are heading off to a varm inviting tropical island for this year's Halloween! :cheers:

Setting will be coming soon!
Hogan
DM of Deities

Postby NinjaNick » Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:36 pm

Yay! This is going to be awesome.
Ninja vanish.
NinjaNick
Young and Foolish
Young and Foolish

Postby GabrialFox » Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:23 am

So many possibilities for headsplosions!

Fox is in grave danger this year. :: lol ::

Now to start contemplating who makes the trip with him... The plans, they all begin now... >.>
GabrialFox
Green Apprentice
Green Apprentice

Postby KarabearComics » Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:17 am

Well, I know on my end I'm toying with bringing a HUGE amount of characters--with which I plan to do my own thing and not really mess around with the main Caper plot as much. I think I've kind of made it difficult for others to get in on it these last two years, with there being so much going on in my own comics (in part because of my update schedule), so this year I'm coming up with a completely independent plot and will write as much as I can beforehand, with leeway to bring in cameos and the like. I'd think most of my cameos will be amongst my own comics, unless prearranged otherwise.

Of course, I may scrap the whole "lots of characters" thing if it becomes too much, anyways. We'll see when I write things what will happen (already started, though I'm still trying to figure who the villain will be--Shai'tan isn't an option this year).
All the bad things in life only help you appreciate the good even more.
KarabearComics
Squire in Training
Squire in Training

Postby reinder » Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:41 pm

Hey all,

Aggie, Hogan and I had an in-person discussion about the Caper yesterday. We've fleshed out the concept a bit. One thing we were agreed on was the need to keep things fairly simple and shorter than in previous years. We've got an idea that will help with that and will allow people to work without too much mystery plotting and without things like interlocking storylines that complicate things. Hogan will tell more when he's back home.

For example, what that means for Ave is that whoever is the villain in the Karabear-related parts, can be the villain in those parts only without it affecting Hey Fox unless Gabe wants it to.
Reinder Dijkhuis
Rogues of Clwyd-Rhan | Blog
reinder
Cameowhore in training
Cameowhore in training

Location: On cartoon street corners offering appearances to any comic characters that catch my eye

Postby KAMics » Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:21 pm

Tropical Island well that was a surprise. :wink: That one just squeaked by to win. :cheers:

Now I just have to figure out how to draw the girls in bikinis. :shock: Oh, the art challenge this will be! :o

Unless the plot involves a mad scientist and his weather machine creating a freak snowstorm that forces everyone to cover up? :cry:
The KAMics - Comic
KAMic's Kast - Who's Who
KAM's Fanart - Fanart
KAMics
#1 CameoWhore
#1 CameoWhore

Postby reinder » Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:44 pm

Some form of mad science may be involved, yeah. Also, white tuxedos.
Reinder Dijkhuis
Rogues of Clwyd-Rhan | Blog
reinder
Cameowhore in training
Cameowhore in training

Location: On cartoon street corners offering appearances to any comic characters that catch my eye

Postby GabrialFox » Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:39 am

Perhaps I'm misremembering, but I thought it used to be that the invitations were for a primary +1 (That is 2 characters per comic). Especially as we're trying to get MORE comics involved this year, it stands to reason (I think) to keep the pool of characters somewhat restrained, thus increasing the chances of everybody being able to make the cameo cut.

Thoughts?
GabrialFox
Green Apprentice
Green Apprentice

PreviousNext

Return to Halloween Cameo Caper 2014