The Halloween 2014 Caper... where to host it?

Get behind the veil of fog and visit the site of the 2014 Caper, Kokotomo, The Fantasy Island!

Moderators: Hogan, AggieJanicot

Where to host the 2014 Halloween Caper?

In a Pyramid / Ancient Egypt
No votes
Under the Sea/ R'lyeh
No votes
The Northpole / Antarctic
No votes
Comic Convention
18%
Ponyland
No votes
Lavender Town
9%
Abandoned Summer Camp
No votes
The Net
No votes
Tropical Island
55%
Oz
18%

Total votes : 11

The Halloween 2014 Caper... where to host it?

Postby Hogan » Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:52 pm

Its time to start another year on the calender, and that means its time to start talking about where to host the anually Cameo Caper, even though its heydays are to month into the future... but getting closer as you read this.

Against all tradition it seems like the participants of the 2013 Caper alll made it through in good time, so they should all now be rested and sound of mind (whatevet goes for that around here) and ready to participate in the discussion about where to send the players to the Halloween Cameo Caper of 2014! :cheers:

But first, the obligatory... What's a Halloween Cameo Caper?

The Cameo Caper is a, by now, old annuarly tradition (5 years+) where artists and authors alike get together, trying to get a multi-webcomic (no kind, style or hosts bared) cameo caper running through the month of October (though starting before and taking it ways beyond is not unheard of... far from), culminating on Halloween Eve, October the 31st) where, hopefully, all participating characters will get together for one large Halloween Webcomic Party!

The original and basic concept is that, at the date of Halloween (or the day closest to, taking updates schedules into accounting), the particpating artists post a strip (canon, none-canon, filler etc.) on their site or in an appropiate thread here in the Dragonboard forum, showing their characters and as many characters from other comics as possible, having fun and celebrating the Halloween in the chosen setting.

Thats the concept you agree for by signing up! One strip at the day of Halloween! No more, no less... :)

BUT... nothing prevents, and nothing HAS so far prevented, any and all participant from creating whole storylines centered around the event, storylines that sometimes start way before and go beyond the month of October and Halloween Eve. Furthermore there's nothing to prevent the participating webcomics from joining up and forming crossovers with each other for the sake of the event, exactly like it has been done before... Actually, its recommended, but not a demand ;)

The previous years have been varied but usually great experiences for the participants, and we hope to see many new and old faces in the 2014 Cameo Caper, getting together for yet another memorable event! :cheers:

But first, before anyone signs up for anything... we need to decide where to host the Caper of 2013!?

In 2006 the first year the Caper went to the town of Shelterville in the old Wild West, 2007 went to Disneyland orbiting a faraway planet in the near future, in 2008 a a zombie-filled mall was throughoutly thrashed, 2009 gave hauntings of castle of Overlook a bad reputation and 2010 gave the crew and passengers of the spaceship NCS Nostromummy a few last days of their life to remember, in 2011 Time finally caught up with the secluded and Dinosaur filled Valley in the Hillsfar Mountains.
2012 brought murder to the interdimensional nexus of Tyrion, and in 2013 the Sugar Rush brought characters and War to Candyland!

Which place shall receive the "honor" of hosting this year's Caper?

The following is a list of hithero suggested places to hold the Caper which didn't make it the previous years

20's Chicago
    Ancient China
    CameoComic / The Dragonboard
    Earth's Core
    The Middle Ages
    Battle of the Bands Setting
    In a Pyramid / Ancient Egypt
    Under the Sea/ R'lyeh
    The Northpole / Antarctic
    Pirate Bay
    Comic Convention
    Ponyland
    Lavender Town
    Abandoned Summer Camp
    The Net

Feel free to cast your preliminary votes for any and all of the above suggested themes, and feel free to come up with any imaginable idea that can suggest a fantastic and interesting ideal setting where to host the Cameo Caper of 2014!

This thread is for collecting those suggestions as well as any discussions, and you don't have to even think about signing up for the Cameo Caper just yet, just feel free to take part in choosing the place!

The discussion will come to an end at the 26th of April, after which point a poll will be set up, a poll featuring the 10 hottest topics of the thread for everyone to vote on to get the final result...

When the setting has been chosen, a more detailed campaign for the exact location will be provided... so therefore DO come up with various ideas while suggesting and voting... everything helps to make the setting as memorable as the previous ones!

Also, again, no matter if you plan on participating or not, you are welcome to give your 5 cents with regards to ideas for the place, setting and everything else... its appreciated! :)

-------------------------------------

Edit:

Better late that never, the collected suggestions are finally up for voting!
I've pruned the list of some of the suggestions from the previous years which never got any real votes, not interest, hopefully leaving a list of possible places that really speaks to the artists around! :-)

As always, anyone associated on this forum can cast their vote, no matter if they plan on participating in the event or not, and the more who give their votes, the better!

Sign-up's for the Caper CAN be done at this point, but please don't do so unless you are 100% sure you can participate no matter the setting chosen

Poll will close at [url]the end of June[/url], giving people roughly a couple of months to sign up and start planning before the event starts in earnest.

Edit:

Since not everyone reading this are able to vote at this forum (contact me if you need a profile), votes cast at my DA-page as well as in the Drunk Duck Forum, the Fantasy Comic Portal Forum and the Comic Fury Forum will also be counted towards the result!

Happy voting!

- Hogan

Votes coming in from other sites as per. 09.06.2014:

Deviant Art - Comic Convention (1)
Fantasy Comic Portal - Ponyland (1)
Avatar is Hogan cameoing in Misfits of Mischief by ROAR
Hogan
DM of Deities

Re: The Halloween 2014 Caper... where to host it?

Postby KarabearComics » Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:58 am

We already have a large list (with suggestions of mine on it, too), but I've been thinking of a couple:

One is a world with slasher movie villains in it. Just a place where a lot of slashers seem to have congregated (I keep thinking of a drive-in movie theater, as that seems to be where the victims might congregate). It's a nifty sort of thing to get back into the horror element of Halloween. However, as there's nothing specific about the location (a drive-in would be a hard place to do a big cameo thing in), it may be hard to have anything worthwhile from it.

Another, though, is to use a world already made, and available to be used without drawing the ire of copyright hounds: Oz! I'm meaning the version from the books, not movies (so no green Wicked Witch, ruby slippers or the like), because that's what's in the public domain. Granted, Oz is huge, but it is nice to have some legroom in these things (especially for me and my early start I always have--help me to do my own thing without running into conflict with other Caperers).
All the bad things in life only help you appreciate the good even more.
KarabearComics
Squire in Training
Squire in Training

Postby KAMics » Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:04 pm

Tropical Island Beach Party? :cheers:

Might be a fun change drawing the girls in bikinis instead of armor. :wink:
The KAMics - Comic
The KAMics - Comic Mirror
KAMic's Kast - Who's Who
KAM's Fanart - Fanart
KAM's Books - My work in print
KAMics
#1 CameoWhore
#1 CameoWhore

Postby Hogan » Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:12 pm

KarabearComics wrote:One is a world with slasher movie villains in it. Just a place where a lot of slashers seem to have congregated (I keep thinking of a drive-in movie theater, as that seems to be where the victims might congregate). It's a nifty sort of thing to get back into the horror element of Halloween. However, as there's nothing specific about the location (a drive-in would be a hard place to do a big cameo thing in), it may be hard to have anything worthwhile from it.

I think this became the Abandoned Summer Camp suggestion from the previous year? :-)

KAMics wrote:Tropical Island Beach Party? :cheers:

Might be a fun change drawing the girls in bikinis instead of armor. :wink:

This one gets my vote! :D
Hogan
DM of Deities

Postby KarabearComics » Tue May 20, 2014 9:29 pm

Wonder when we'll get around to voting?

Anyways, I do think the Oz one could be nice to come into knowing a storyline to take: it could be the characters enter during Dorothy's journey from The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, which could be simple to know where the setting's characters are, and also much of the look (just go with the book's original illustrations). The Marvelous Land of Oz may be my favorite Oz book, but I'm sure if we do Oz and do it as such, the first book is the one people would most want to go with.
KarabearComics
Squire in Training
Squire in Training

Postby reinder » Thu May 22, 2014 5:02 pm

Is this even still on?
Reinder Dijkhuis
Rogues of Clwyd-Rhan | Blog
reinder
Cameowhore in training
Cameowhore in training

Location: On cartoon street corners offering appearances to any comic characters that catch my eye

Postby Hogan » Thu May 22, 2014 10:51 pm

Its on... hopefully, its me who is off :(

I'll get to it and carry this over, I promise...
Hogan
DM of Deities

Postby GabrialFox » Sat May 24, 2014 10:05 pm

I've gotta throw in a bit of backing for the tropical beach party. I think the participants could use a bit of rest and relaxation after the last few years antics.

And hey, what could go wrong? -.^
The grey fox from over at Hey Fox.
GabrialFox
Green Apprentice
Green Apprentice

What could go wrong?

Postby KAMics » Sun May 25, 2014 2:31 pm

Oh...

1. tidal wave
2. island is really a kraken
3. pirates
4. island is really a disguised base for a supervillain
6. aliens
7. island is an evil, living mutant
8. evil mermaids
9. island has an active volcano
10. Godzilla-like monster attack
11. island is going to sink by October 31
12. food poisoning
13. island is a testing ground for military weapons
14. [fill in the blank]

:mrgreen: :cheers:
The KAMics - Comic
The KAMics - Comic Mirror
KAMic's Kast - Who's Who
KAM's Fanart - Fanart
KAM's Books - My work in print
KAMics
#1 CameoWhore
#1 CameoWhore

Postby Hogan » Sun May 25, 2014 7:54 pm

Aaand... we are ready for voting!
... a bit later than originally planned, but here we go... its not like punctuality is a Caper-virtue after all :-)

And with that to something more serious...

Despite starting out well in the beginning of the year I managed to get more than a month behind Schedule, and despite the joking about it, thats not a good sign...

I'll refrain from going into details on what I've been on and about and instead point to this.

It all boils down to this:

On top of this, the Caper has been a bit stagnating for the last couple of years. While we get a great round every time and lots of great participation and storylines to entertain us for months around Halloween, its more or less the same participants each year, showing that the Caper has trouble getting out and ensnaring new people to play part. The forum's latest inaccessability where you have to contact me personally to get a profile (due to hacking, spamming & and a demand from my host) also turn people away.
Because of the reason linked above I've not had the time to get around and spread the news of the Caper to other forums and Communities as I intended in the beginning of the year, nor have I been able to research better ways to handle the participations, thereby failing in making the Caper a more vibrant community (again) , an annuarly event that will gather characters and artists from near and afar!
... and I have to confess and tell that I dont know if my time and schedules will improve much in the immediate future.

But I refuse to let the Caper go down into darkness!

Therefore I will do what I should have done a long time ago, sending out a call for people who would like to help out with the Caper, to form a Group who interact and work with each other to set up and host the Caper, as well as spreading the word about it and keeping it running in the years to come... not to mention reminding each other and keeping them to work.
I will be a part of this Group, but I cannot do it alone, and for the Caper's sake I hope there are people who will step forth and take part.

If you think you have the time and spirit to help out like this, do contact me, preferely on PM or mail and we'll talk it over :cheers:

- Hogan
Hogan
DM of Deities

Postby Squato » Sun May 25, 2014 8:35 pm

KarabearComics wrote:Wonder when we'll get around to voting?

Anyways, I do think the Oz one could be nice to come into knowing a storyline to take: it could be the characters enter during Dorothy's journey from The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, which could be simple to know where the setting's characters are, and also much of the look (just go with the book's original illustrations). The Marvelous Land of Oz may be my favorite Oz book, but I'm sure if we do Oz and do it as such, the first book is the one people would most want to go with.

Oz could also mean Australia. ;)
I am what I am.
I am a man of many colours.

Squato
Squire in Training
Squire in Training

Postby AggieJanicot » Sun May 25, 2014 9:26 pm

I voted, though I don't know what my participation will be.

This last few months I've been trying to find an IRC community/chatroom that actually talks about their comics and art... and that's been difficult. I used to be active at Comic Genesis (which is where I met Hogan and Reinder and a slew of other fantastic folks). I've tried Fantasy Comic Portal, I've tried Webcomics at quakenet and some of the deviantart IRC rooms (which are active, but just not very comic oriented). Are any of you guys in an IRC chatroom? It's easier for me to keep in touch with folks because I forget about the Dragonboard a lot. (I just found out I had two personal messages... dated from last year :( Bad, bad Aggie).

I'm also in the middle of re-booting American Gothic Daily and working on a second comic which is future/sci-fi. I want to seriously get back to my art-- but I sure would enjoy joining an active community again to keep me company as I draw!! I participate more in group activities if I'm active in chatting with the folks too. :cheers:

Aggie
Tennessee Vampires, Werewolves and Witches: http://americangothicdaily.com
Post-Apocalyptic Dystopian Vampires: http://squareonecomics.com
AggieJanicot
Hogan's Hamster
Hogan's Hamster

Postby AggieJanicot » Sun May 25, 2014 9:41 pm

Hogan and I were talking about it.... we can all meet up at IRC quakenet.org the chatroom is #webcomics

If you don't have an irc client, you can access it through:
http://webchat.quakenet.org/ just type in #webcomics as the room name and give yourself a username
AggieJanicot
Hogan's Hamster
Hogan's Hamster

Postby AggieJanicot » Thu May 29, 2014 10:57 pm

zomg... GODZILLA

AggieJanicot
Hogan's Hamster
Hogan's Hamster

Postby Hogan » Thu May 29, 2014 10:58 pm

This... confirms.. the... result of the poll! Period! :D
Hogan
DM of Deities

Postby KarabearComics » Sat May 31, 2014 5:27 am

Is the voting really done? I'd like to know so I can see about making preparations to see how my characters will get to the location.
KarabearComics
Squire in Training
Squire in Training

Postby Hogan » Sat May 31, 2014 7:32 pm

KarabearComics wrote:Is the voting really done? I'd like to know so I can see about making preparations to see how my characters will get to the location.

Disregarding my previous outbursts, made in awe, I think we'll have to let the voting-month run its course before we for sure can determine the location :-)

We are trying to get a bit more around with the Caper this year, hopefully getting some new faces to show up, and I would like them to have a thing or two to say at this stage if possible...

Edit: I've also added the option of voting through Deviant Art since the annoying thing of having to go through me in order to get a profile here to vote might put some people off...
Hogan
DM of Deities

Postby NinjaNick » Sat May 31, 2014 10:30 pm

I would love to see it on a tropical island. Think of all the bikinis.
Ninja vanish.
NinjaNick
Young and Foolish
Young and Foolish

Postby AggieJanicot » Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:05 pm

lol... Bikini's? Not all of us wear bikinis...... To the nudist beach we go!!!! LOL

Seriously though... For most of the caper, I'm sure some of us will wear clothes. Reinder has mentioned to me that Abui will burn badly, and for the first time she may have to wear a white t-shirt or something to avoid serious burn. Aggie isn't much better (the real Aggie gets burns around her collarbone that itch and turn into sun-allergy for the first month or so of summer. She also wears a sun hat when it's miserably sunny and tends to walk in the shadows to avoid contact with the sun... no joke, just ask Rein.) So while Aggie the comic looks like she's enjoying the sun, the real Aggie acts like a vampire and freaks out over sun exposure....which can make it's own comedy... (oh noes... if I go in the sun, I might sparkle like Edward... noes... noes.....eeeeeek! I hate Twilight! It ruined vampires forever!!!)

Aggie

AggieJanicot
Hogan's Hamster
Hogan's Hamster

Postby Hogan » Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:15 pm

Lol! :lol:

If this trend catches on, and considering that several of the Usual Suspects' clothing is normally near bikini-state (I'm thinking of KAM's girls and Joff's Sally... though the latter's work-clothing is full enough, she usual ends up with lot less), I could see this event becoming one of the most decent clothed despite the setting :D

... one can hope not :p
Hogan
DM of Deities

Next

Return to Halloween Cameo Caper 2014