Another Hack, and the start of a new Era

General announcements about the Dragonboard as well as questions about the forum and suggestions of changes.

Moderator: Hogan

Another Hack, and the start of a new Era

Postby Hogan » Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:26 am

Some may incidently have noticed that the Dragonboard Forums have been down for the most of the weekend...

Well, according to my Support and my techwiz Polerin, somebody may have been hacked/tried hacking the forums, trying to hide their tracks/work to such a degree that the forum became unavailable... but who knows what really caused it.

The truth is that the code for the forums were left damaged, and adding that to the glitches left from the last hack & reinstallment, it was simply too damaged to carrry on, and as PhpBB2 went off the market some time ago, there was only one thing to do... to upgrade to phpBB3. It took some time, blood and tears, but what you see now is the basic for the future Dragonboard.

Truth to be told, I've put off the upgrade because I didn't like the look on the new forums, but now it was not to be avoided so I will try and make the best out of it. The good thing however, is that I this time managed to move and secure the database from the old forum so, unlike last time, no post or setting was lost... or so it seems.

I want to thank Polerin for her help in troubleshooting and getting the new forum back together.

Now, in the days to come I will go through the forum to tweek, test and update as well as take advantage of any new features... and you should do the same :)
Please report back if you find something amiss, have questions or will suggest something... it can only help ;)

When the test-period is over, I will look into getting some new styles and skind for the forums, something more appropiate... here suggestion are also welcome.

Welcome back to the new era of the Dragonboard, please bear with me.

- Hogan
Avatar is Hogan cameoing in Misfits of Mischief by ROAR
Hogan
DM of Deities

Re: Another Hack, and the start of a new Era

Postby Xade » Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:51 am

I was wondering about that. I was thinking something like now what did Hogan do, swing his axe at KAM and hit a wire or something and everything went boom? At least you got the mails and stuff all set. I had a few things in my mailbox from Invader Scurk that I needed to fetch.

On a side note my main laptop went boom, I managed to get my files off it, and am now on a clunky old compaq m300, talk about slow. Its so slow that its outstripped by a little old grannie in a walker going up hill and has messed up keys to boot:(

Wish me luck on getting it fixed, it will probably take a few weeks but I'll try to update on this thing, but its hard to concentrate. spent all of today playing Tasty Planet just to pass the time cause im taking in for repairs tomorrow. maybe I can get it done for free at the rental place, despite just paying it off.
My twitter My Facebook

Ask Aden things @ IoX forum
Xade
Hardened Rookie
Hardened Rookie

Location: Ohio, USA, sitting before my computer either drawing or web browsing

Postby littlebeast » Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:23 am

I think I have to agree on preferring the old look, but eh, we'll get used to it I suppose.

Anyway, at least the forum is working now! :D
Obligatory link to my comic
I have currently have 1 ninja point here.
Current status: Nincada.
littlebeast
Cursing Footman
Cursing Footman

Postby Hogan » Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:13 pm

littlebeast wrote:I think I have to agree on preferring the old look, but eh, we'll get used to it I suppose.

I agree, but since everything seems to work allright so far, I went ahead and updated a couple of new styles that will hopefully improve the outlook of the boards.

Go to User Control Panel --> Board Preferences and select the style you prefer, feel free to browse among them. So far they are just a token few random ones, I may add more in the future if I find some proper ones. If anyones has suggestions, feel free to link me!

And... Clyde WILL be back! :)

Also, I should perhaps point out that the new forums makes it possible for signatures of up to 200 letters, as well as a lot of new features. DO take a look around and give them a test... even I don't know what all of them are good for... yet ;)
Hogan
DM of Deities

Postby Hogan » Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:11 pm

And... we are back... again...

Turns out that the first time the forum went down, was due to the hackers having added adware script to each and every html-file on the dragoneers.com and subdomains... and also the the php-files of the forums causing it to go down. I discovered this when the forum went down the SECOND time, since the hackers apparently had an auto-update feature taking advantage of the access they had gained, so as soon as new script-free files were uploaded, they were poluted...

So, since it was not to say where the hackers had entered and close the hole, the only solution was to take all the sites down and reinstall everything, including the database of this forum (which was more tricky than expected) ... which has now been done.

So far only the loss of avatars in the forum has been the only visible thing gone missing in the procedure, that and I'm not fully through uploading all the subdomains (among them the Crossover Wars Hub), but if you encounter anything, let me know and I'll see what I can do.

I'm sorry for the incovenience all this has caused everybody, especially the participants in the Halloween Cameo Caper...

- Hogan
Hogan
DM of Deities

Return to The Hall