The Setting of Tyrion

Where the Worlds come together, the place of Tyrion is the place for the 2012 Cameo Caper to take place!

Moderator: Hogan

The Setting of Tyrion

Postby Hogan » Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:29 pm

------------------------------

The City of Tyrion is the official crossroad of the Multiverse. Portals are hidden everywhere, sometimes in plain sight, other times hidden so that very few ever know they exists! They are in doorways, barrels, entryways, potholes, leading from and to every Dimension known to exists, as well as a few never imagined… few of the portals lead both ways though, some only opens at random times and/or by random triggers, or not at all anymore.

The city seems to have been there forever, probably before time, but the influx of travellers as well as the leaving and/or disappearance of others keeps it forever changing, new builds taking the place of others as people have been making their homes or setting up shops here over the ages, using magic, science and skills of a thousand world to add, improve and change.
This has left the city itself a hox-pox of buildings in styles and shapes found all over the Multiverse, a futuristic monorail winds its way along a medieval castle, above Victorian townhouses, Centaurian towers, Darlek storefronts, Viking longhouses and medieval villagefronts as well as even stranger buildings from lands and dimensions afar.

Above the city a skycolored dome covers the entire city in a permanent cloudless greyish day, its sides running down to set the city’s borders, permanencying the city area to about two miles across, two miles of tightly palced buildings, and then you haven’t even counted the underground…
If seen from outside, Tyrion would be placed in a perfectly sphere, aprox. 60% above ground with the terrain gently sloping inwards
What’s outside the sphere is Empty Timeless Void, the kind that fills out the place between worlds were they are not bridged by places like Tyrion.

Being the crossroad of dimensions, almost every multi-world nexus in the Multiverse has a keypoint in the city of Tyrion. The 501 bar is always open and the Shelterville Train rides on schedule from the station. Besides the official travellers, the myriad portals also means a lot of people and creatures accidently spends time in the city while they ponder either a way home or wherever to go next to follow adventures or cause mayhem.

However, although few visitors and inhabitants ever realized it, all through its existence the city has had its Guardian and its Gate…

It what would be regarded as the exact centre of the sphere, in the middle of the city, there’s a building that seems to be changing on its own accord, changing style and size at the whim of its creator, the Guardian of Tyrion! At the moment the house is stuck in the shape of a 1800th century British townhouse, and if one goes inside one would find the interior to match.

In this house, in anonomosity to almost all of the people who over the ages have lived in Tyrion, the Guardian of Tyris have lived since before Time, using the Key to keep the gates of Tyrion properly balanced and keeping the nexus between dimensions constant, keeping the worlds apart and preventing an implosion of the entire Multiverse.
Some, the very few who knew of him, would claim the Guardian to be the one who originally created the Junction between dimensions, other claims there has been a long line of Guardians. The only being to probably know the truth would be the Senescal, the living embodiment of trans-dimensional energy that powers the portals of Tyrion.

------------------------------

This is the general layout and setting for the Halloween Caper 2012… hopefully enough to give an idea of what its all about, and just enough to give lots of openings for formfitting the whole setting for individual campaigns and stories, as well as one hell of an excuse for bringing in characters from every setting, time and world know to any creature!

This thread is for the asking of questions as well as discussions about the the general setting of Tyrion as well posting of layout sketches and descriptions of special locations so that we hopefully can get some excellent cross-references going.
Any questions can be answered and discussed by everyone interested.

Should there be a request for new facilities, they can be provided either by the coordinators and/or participants provided they fit into the setting. If you plan on using a part of the setting that has not hitherto been described, please post your description of it here for others to use as they see fit. If two artists want to use the same location, but are not of like mind, this is where to discuss and coordinate... the key to a great event of this kind is good coordination and management of the interweaving plots which WILL arise.

If anyone wants to call dibs on designing specific characters, creatures etc. for general use, please do so, but keep in mind that the best use is if everyone agrees on how they look, so keep an open mind to comments and suggestions!

One major rule to be followed... enjoy! :cheers:

- Hogan
Avatar is Hogan cameoing in Misfits of Mischief by ROAR
Hogan
DM of Deities

Re: The Setting of Tyrion

Postby KAMics » Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:18 pm

What does (did) Dalan Magnaheist, Guardian look like?

What does Seneschal, Gate of Worlds look like?

While not actually setting involved I wasn't sure where to put these next ones.

How did the original invites go out? I'm imagining that the invite went out and a stated time was listed for when the portal would open and let the invitee come through because that would give the invitee a chance to prepare (such as taking time off work, or something).

I was also working on what the portal opening effect would look like & wondered if there should be one effect or should each participant do it their own way.
The KAMics - Comic
The KAMics - Comic Mirror
KAMic's Kast - Who's Who
KAM's Fanart - Fanart
KAM's Books - My work in print
KAMics
#1 CameoWhore
#1 CameoWhore

Postby Hogan » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:26 am

KAMics wrote:What does (did) Dalan Magnaheist, Guardian look like?

What does Seneschal, Gate of Worlds look like?

Well, as a rule of the thumb I have not given any closer description of the involved NPC's since I'm not an artist of even participant, and whatever the participants DO come up with is usually better than I could come up with, so... ;-)

KAMics wrote:How did the original invites go out? I'm imagining that the invite went out and a stated time was listed for when the portal would open and let the invitee come through because that would give the invitee a chance to prepare (such as taking time off work, or something).

Given the current layout of the home of the Guardian and Seneschal looks like, the invitation would probably have been along the lines of a elegant written letter in Victorian English, "gated" to the worlds of choice... howeever, perhaps the Seneschal chose to instead send it in a way it/he/she knew would be best received in each world? :mrgreen:

Else your summary sounds right :-)

KAMics wrote:I was also working on what the portal opening effect would look like & wondered if there should be one effect or should each participant do it their own way.

I'm all in for different effects as Tyrion is the Place of a Million Gateways, but... what do others say? :-)
Hogan
DM of Deities

Postby KAMics » Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:38 pm

Okay, I tried sketching out some possible looks. Comments welcome. If you think a different look would be good draw it up and post.

Dalen (I started thinking of the Ancient One from Dr. Strange and then started adding some Chinese dragon)
http://media.drunkduck.com/users/KAM/as ... ardian.gif

Seneschal (3 different ideas. 1. The look of the Golden age comic book character the Eye. 2. A childlike appearance. 3. A sexy woman appearance.)
http://media.drunkduck.com/users/KAM/as ... eschal.gif

Of course, that's assuming that these characters look the same to everyone, but we should probably figure that out before we get too far along.
The KAMics - Comic
The KAMics - Comic Mirror
KAMic's Kast - Who's Who
KAM's Fanart - Fanart
KAM's Books - My work in print
KAMics
#1 CameoWhore
#1 CameoWhore

Postby reinder » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:18 pm

Oh! Calvin Bexfield did some concept sketches for me. I'll post them here in a little bit.
Reinder Dijkhuis
Rogues of Clwyd-Rhan | Blog
reinder
Cameowhore in training
Cameowhore in training

Location: On cartoon street corners offering appearances to any comic characters that catch my eye

Postby reinder » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:22 pm

Here we are. Both are based on Hogan's description of Tyrion from the Invitation letter/concept.
Reinder Dijkhuis
reinder
Cameowhore in training
Cameowhore in training

Location: On cartoon street corners offering appearances to any comic characters that catch my eye

Postby Hogan » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:08 pm

Whoa... :o ... especially the latter... whoa! :o
Hogan
DM of Deities

Postby KarabearComics » Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:52 am

Wow. Why can't I think of something like that. My Tyion is so... blase. I've focused more on the varieties of buildings than a good grand-scale thing. Oh well, one could say my bits are the run-down part of the city, the bland parts--at least until I can actually get involved in other comics' storylines.
All the bad things in life only help you appreciate the good even more.
KarabearComics
Squire in Training
Squire in Training

Postby reinder » Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:56 am

Here's some more art from Calvin:
Concept art for the Guardian

I'm not sure how these next two fit in. I think Calvin misremebered Seneschal as Shaman by the time he came home from work, but without rereading the invite, I don't remember anything about a forest god - and I have no time to reread the invite right now.

Forest god...

Oh, wait... it's the guardian again. So Shaman=Guardian. Gotcha.

He also suggested exploring the possibility of making the guardian a kid, because then it'd be more obvious why he'd need help. But apparently he didn't go with that in his concept sketches.
Reinder Dijkhuis
reinder
Cameowhore in training
Cameowhore in training

Postby reinder » Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:58 am

Wooops! These images are huge! Just right-click and download for a full, hi-res look.
Reinder Dijkhuis
reinder
Cameowhore in training
Cameowhore in training

Postby calvinbexfield » Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:06 pm

Hi,

I thought I'd give some extra info on the 'forestgod'. I thought he/she/it could be the Seneschal. I have to admit I didn't fully coprehend who Seneschal is (I was at work...doing worky thingies: I know it's no excuse).

Guardian is a shaman who used forestgods to create the city of Tyrion. After dying a forestgod goes to his 'heaven' (where there are no dogs....and no dogpee). The shaman tricked the gods in believing Tyrion was this heaven. The Guardian used the energy of the forestgods to forge the bubble between dimensions. By travelling to Tyrion the gods created pathways. Even now in the old forests there are still links with the city. These links can be used as portals.

So only portals where forestgods died. Often you can still see remnants of worship. Also petrified forests (stone) can carry the links with Tyrion. These gods needed water, so often the current portals are near water, sometimes even the petrified wood is used as building material. So the forestgod in the picture is one that stayed with the Guardian/Shaman. He is Seneschal.

Side track: One of the current gouvernments acknowledges the existance of these gods. And in fact captured one. This gouvernment wants to force the forestgod into creating there own portal.

So the first travellers (after the guardian) where dead forestgods. They did not need invitations...they where tricked.

Of course this is just an idea. I only read the invitation above. So I'm not sure if I'm crossing some boundaries with the designs.
calvinbexfield
Petty Toddler
Petty Toddler

Postby KarabearComics » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:43 am

Gosh darn it, I should always read the descriptions and look at the references again when drawing things. I wanted to incorporate stuff from this thread in my latest page (it shows a lot of Tyrion), but one thing I keep forgetting about is the monorail. I also just am terrible, in general, with depicting anything. My Tyrion doesn't look as great, and I approached it more as a city with quirky buildings (and even then, they tend to be a couple distinct buildings with a lot of box-shaped ones).

Maybe we can use the excuse with my depictions about the changing nature of Tyrion, that it will change its landscape. But it's my fault for wanting to actually show the place off when I have no artistic talent to do so.
All the bad things in life only help you appreciate the good even more.
KarabearComics
Squire in Training
Squire in Training

Postby RazorD9 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:41 am

Falling a bit behind this year. Will start posting Sometime next week. Though would like to share a WIP of the basic Background I plan on using.

First time using Paint Tool Sai, and love howeasy it was to figure out how to use layers.
RazorD9
Hardened Rookie
Hardened Rookie

Postby Hogan » Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:46 pm

calvinbexfield wrote:Hi,

I thought I'd give some extra info on the 'forestgod'. I thought he/she/it could be the Seneschal. I have to admit I didn't fully coprehend who Seneschal is (I was at work...doing worky thingies: I know it's no excuse).

Guardian is a shaman who used forestgods to create the city of Tyrion. After dying a forestgod goes to his 'heaven' (where there are no dogs....and no dogpee). The shaman tricked the gods in believing Tyrion was this heaven. The Guardian used the energy of the forestgods to forge the bubble between dimensions. By travelling to Tyrion the gods created pathways. Even now in the old forests there are still links with the city. These links can be used as portals.

So only portals where forestgods died. Often you can still see remnants of worship. Also petrified forests (stone) can carry the links with Tyrion. These gods needed water, so often the current portals are near water, sometimes even the petrified wood is used as building material. So the forestgod in the picture is one that stayed with the Guardian/Shaman. He is Seneschal.

Side track: One of the current gouvernments acknowledges the existance of these gods. And in fact captured one. This gouvernment wants to force the forestgod into creating there own portal.

So the first travellers (after the guardian) where dead forestgods. They did not need invitations...they where tricked.

Of course this is just an idea. I only read the invitation above. So I'm not sure if I'm crossing some boundaries with the designs.

You know what Calvin... thats a pretty interesting take on the prehistory and origin of Tyrion, a pretty nifty one even if I shoud say so myself :-)

Kudos! :cheers:
Hogan
DM of Deities

Return to Halloween Cameo Caper 2012