2011 Calender for Relay For Life

Each of us has the skills to do good... together we can work miracles

Re: 2011 Calender for Relay For Life

Postby gnume » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:32 am

Hogan wrote:
hogan can you move this discussion to its own forum ?

I can, but do we need to do it? So far we can keep the discussion in one thread, and since its a project of Rons (with lack of Ron by obvious reasons) it sounds fitting for it to be in his forum...?

im asking to move it to its own forum because if i reefer artist from outside the comic community its batter idea in my opinion to not have it associated with any one particular comic
gnume
Green Apprentice
Green Apprentice

Postby ghostrunner » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:16 am

may all your hauntings be full apparition- jim
ghostrunner
Squire in Training
Squire in Training

Postby houseofmuses » Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:18 am

Also recommend CafePress.com for calendar promotion and sales.
houseofmuses
Awestruck Listener
Awestruck Listener

Postby ghostrunner » Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:43 am

http://user.drunkduck.com/LanceDanger/
http://evilmind2.deviantart.com/
http://arbitraryjane.deviantart.com/

have signed on confirmed. there are still a couple others i havent heard from, but i think weve got a good balance of artists. preparing to kick this pig :D
may all your hauntings be full apparition- jim
ghostrunner
Squire in Training
Squire in Training

Postby Hogan » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:43 pm

Woot, that looks good Jim! :D

To my account we now have 15 interested artists signed up, which means we got more than enough for a 12 month calender, is close to an 18 month, or shall work on getting enough for a 2 x 12 month calender? That or we shall go with split-months to keep all 15 in one calender?
Your thoughts?

... and may I say I am impressed with the number of people showing interest in this project, not to mention the quality of the art they bring! :)

Here's the list for good measure:

Ron
Riley
Artdude
Jim
BlkKnight
Houseofmuses
Vwyler
Mark
Emjar
Miss Annoying
Jerrie
Legomegacy
LanceDanger
Kaje Tsune
ArbitraryJane

houseofmuses wrote:Also recommend CafePress.com for calendar promotion and sales.

CafePress has its merits indeed, its easy and straightforward to use though I have no idea of the quality they provide. Also using it means no paying out in front, though the final sum will be less because of the same...

However, it will probably be either this or a combination of Kickstarter (if possible) and an independent press... will look into it..

gnume wrote:
Hogan wrote:
hogan can you move this discussion to its own forum ?

I can, but do we need to do it? So far we can keep the discussion in one thread, and since its a project of Rons (with lack of Ron by obvious reasons) it sounds fitting for it to be in his forum...?

im asking to move it to its own forum because if i reefer artist from outside the comic community its batter idea in my opinion to not have it associated with any one particular comic

Thats a good point, I will talk to Ron about it since it IS his forum and project after all :-)
Avatar is Hogan cameoing in Misfits of Mischief by ROAR
Hogan
DM of Deities

Postby gnume » Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:10 am

am if im not mistaken ron is at the sea
and he pretty much has no contact online
i didnt see him posting here or on drunkduck a lot latly
maybe you should put his name under maybe as an artist ?
we dont know when he will have access to the Internet to upload and send an image for the calender
gnume
Green Apprentice
Green Apprentice

Postby Hogan » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:02 am

gnume wrote:am if im not mistaken ron is at the sea
we dont know when he will have access to the Internet to upload and send an image for the calender

He does get email through once in a while so I will try to contact him through that... else I will make a decision
Hogan
DM of Deities

Postby gnume » Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:39 am

Hogan wrote:

He does get email through once in a while so I will try to contact him through that... else I will make a decision

and dont forget he doesnt have a scanner
all the pages he poster was originally sent to Riley by snail mail to be scanned so its not sure he can add his contribution for the calender in time
gnume
Green Apprentice
Green Apprentice

Postby Hogan » Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:21 pm

gnume wrote:
Hogan wrote:

all the pages he poster was originally sent to Riley by snail mail to be scanned so its not sure he can add his contribution for the calender in time

That will depend... I think it originally when the project started up was decided that we would aim for the calender being from Jul 2011 to Jun 2012, meaning there will plenty on time to get things settled and Ron home on dry ground and his scanner... though if we are aiming for a sole 2011 calender we may already be late...? :|
Hogan
DM of Deities

Postby gnume » Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:30 pm

Hogan wrote:
gnume wrote:
Hogan wrote:

That will depend... I think it originally when the project started up was decided that we would aim for the calender being from Jul 2011 to Jun 2012, meaning there will plenty on time to get things settled and Ron home on dry ground and his scanner... though if we are aiming for a sole 2011 calender we may already be late...? :|

not by much if you know what are you doing
not counting in founding time
gnume
Green Apprentice
Green Apprentice

Postby Hogan » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:27 am

gnume wrote:[quote="Hogan]That will depend... I think it originally when the project started up was decided that we would aim for the calender being from Jul 2011 to Jun 2012, meaning there will plenty on time to get things settled and Ron home on dry ground and his scanner... though if we are aiming for a sole 2011 calender we may already be late...? :|[/quote]

not by much if you know what are you doing
not counting in founding time[/quote][/quote]

I rarely know what I am doing before I have tried... but thats not putting me off from trying!

Okay, got message back from Ron, he agrees with the notion of moving the Calender Project to a seperate forum. I will initiate the process tomorrow when I'm better, my head is not agreeing with me tonight...
Hogan
DM of Deities

Postby gnume » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:52 pm

i think we have enough artists to proceed to the next level
so i created a pool to vote on the type of calender you want :
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=4070
please vote !
gnume
Green Apprentice
Green Apprentice

Postby Me_Emjar » Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:46 pm

Just tell me what you'd like me to draw and how and where to send it and I'm your man! :D
Me_Emjar
Awestruck Listener
Awestruck Listener

Postby Xade » Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:09 pm

me!!!! I want in, I want April, if possible for Easter, that would go sooo well with Alex and his daughters, since they're rabbits. if not I guess I can think of something for another month. ah, I just looked and drat, ghost already has it.
Edit: I guess I'll take September. I'm sure I can whip something up for talk like a pirate day

What I was thinking of
I can see it now, Alex Edit: munching on a cross, and his daughters digging into an Easter basket at his feet, Bunnie munching on a carrot, as she is reaching for an egg and Sherry Ann (age 3) nomming the ears off a chocolate bunny. it would be soo cute if I do it right.
My twitter My Facebook

Ask Aden things @ IoX forum
Xade
Hardened Rookie
Hardened Rookie

Location: Ohio, USA, sitting before my computer either drawing or web browsing

Postby Hogan » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:55 pm

Xade wrote:What I was thinking of
I can see it now, Alex Edit: munching on a cross, and his daughters digging into an Easter basket at his feet, Bunnie munching on a carrot, as she is reaching for an egg and Sherry Ann (age 3) nomming the ears off a chocolate bunny. it would be soo cute if I do it right.

It may just be me, with me being from a "Easter is just another excuse for a vacation"-part of the world, but... "munching on a cross"? :o

He is actually eating a cross or...? *is not embaressed to be colored confused*

Also... you got April from Ghost!
Hogan
DM of Deities

Postby Xade » Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:17 pm

A chocolate cross, way back before all the bunnies, eggs and chicks there was this big world changing thing everyone celebrated on the last Sunday of April. But you can read about that here for I don't want to get preachy. It's just not only is Easter celebrated as the spring holiday but it's also the holiday of my Savior's death. Since that is symbolized by a cross, I'll have Alex munching on a chocolate cross in the background as he watches his girls dig into the easter basket. Just a little friendly reminder that Easter is not just abut bunnies, chicks, eggs and treasure hunts.
My twitter My Facebook

Xade
Hardened Rookie
Hardened Rookie

Postby Keybounce » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:47 pm

> Just a little friendly reminder that Easter is not just abut bunnies, chicks, eggs and treasure hunts.

Right, Easter is about stealing one religion's fertility rituals and repurposing them about your own beliefs.

Or do Rabbits holding chicken eggs have something to do with the messiah?

> but it's also the holiday of my Savior's death.

And to me, it's more about how letting one group of people, charged with upholding the law, getting away with whatever they want -- including murder -- and violating that law.

Turning Jesus over to the romans and letting them kill him broke jewish law, basically.
The people charged with protecting the law felt it was better to ignore it.
A system that lets those in charge of the law break or ignore it is a bad system.
See: U.S. supreme court, general police behavior in most cases.
"So my Mom left me a huge heap of molding, rotten, decaying, puss-dripping zombies ... How cool is that?"

"So what is your advice to me?"
"Stop doing stupid crap."
Keybounce
Squire in Training
Squire in Training

Postby Hogan » Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:59 pm

Whoa! Whoa! Hold your horses, if there's one thing I would like to avoid in these parts, its discussions on religion... that and politics. Somehow religion and drawings just don't seem to mix...

The reason Easter is mostly eggs, chickens and rabbits is that its so relieving neutral... and generally accepted by most people, no matter orientation... and thats what we must strive for in order to speak to the most potential buyers...
Hogan
DM of Deities

Postby Keybounce » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:20 am

Fair enough.

Yea, easter == rabbits carrying chicken eggs (where did they get them?) is the "cultural norm" around here.

"Silly Rabbit, chocolate eggs are for kids".

===
There is a huge difference between holidays and holy days. Most holy days, if actually celebrated as holy days, would not be able to be celebrated as the holidays that they have turned into.

But I do agree: The claim that Jesus rose from the dead was a world changing event. That is basically (as I understand it) the defining moment of the christian faith; it's not a belief that I share.

> Just a little friendly reminder that Easter is not just abut bunnies, chicks, eggs and treasure hunts.

Sadly, in America, it IS. Just as Christmas is about gift giving, not about Jesus's birth.

There's a small population that actually treats Christmas as a birth celebration. Just as there's a small population that celebrates the winter solstice a few days later.

There's a small population that treats the start of april as the start of the year -- maybe not the calendar year, but the growth, the food, etc. And then there's the majority that treats it as April Fools day.

The Catholic church basically changed every other major celebration around, in an attempt to make its view of god the only one. And I guess I'm triggered by people saying that the views of that church are "truth".

(Yes, I do believe that the God of Abraham is real; no, I don't believe that Jesus is that God.)
===

Religion and drawing ...

Didn't someone a few years back make a "Co-Exist" drawing where every letter was a symbol from a different religion?
"So my Mom left me a huge heap of molding, rotten, decaying, puss-dripping zombies ... How cool is that?"

"So what is your advice to me?"
"Stop doing stupid crap."
Keybounce
Squire in Training
Squire in Training

Postby Xade » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:56 pm

I didnt expect it this blow out of control, I was planning on having the cross tucked just barely within sight, like behind Bunni's ear, so that only if one only looks closely do they catch the true easter egg of the april picture. There are easter fish and crosses out there, you know, just hard to find nowadays. But if you're going to get all crazy about it, keybounce, I am withdrawing as quickly as I joined. It's not worth it to me to offend others with my beliefs, I did not say that I approved of everything that happened back then, that is like ....well, let's not go there.
My twitter My Facebook

Xade
Hardened Rookie
Hardened Rookie

PreviousNext

Return to Relay For Life Calender Project