Wheels: Hero, Villian, Anti-hero, or just Politician?

When the flying ships returning to Terra, bringing back magic again, the world and its people were changed forever... now its the home of the Magical Misfits !

Moderator: Wheels

Wheels: Hero, Villian, Anti-hero, or just Politician?

Postby Keybounce » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:08 pm

Alright folks, what do you think of Wheels?

I know he's normally drawn as the protagonist of MM, and we're conditioned to think that "Protagonist == Hero" (see the movie "Wizards", and ask yourself who's the good guy).

But Wheels?

* He hides assets of the wizard council from the valid legal owners of the wizard council
* He kidnaps poor Tommy out of Tommy's strip

Yes, he leads the defense of Terra against the EOU, but that's as much self-serving as anything else.

Is he really a hero? Is his concern only what helps him and his? (his family, etc)? What gives him permission/authority to do what he does? What restrictions does he follow?

I haven't read all of the archive, nor all of the crossovers, but what do you all think? Are there other examples of him doing questionable things for the benefit of him and his?
"So my Mom left me a huge heap of molding, rotten, decaying, puss-dripping zombies ... How cool is that?"

"So what is your advice to me?"
"Stop doing stupid crap."
Keybounce
Squire in Training
Squire in Training

Re: Wheels: Hero, Villian, Anti-hero, or just Politician?

Postby ghostrunner » Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:48 pm

i'm gonna go with hero. because quite frankly he blows up a heck of a lot less stuff than ghost does and still manages to out think his enemies.
may all your hauntings be full apparition- jim
ghostrunner
Squire in Training
Squire in Training

Postby Wheels » Sat Oct 02, 2010 4:00 pm

I've known Wheels a long time. He would not consider himself a hero. Terra is still fractured into small political entities. The wizard council was always the only central out fit. More like the UN than anything else. Lotsa wind no real power. Wheels started out doing thing properly and with honor. All it did in his words was lose him his arm. So Wheels does what he believes is right. He even hid his Wizard status for many years to avoid becoming part of the Council. Wheel's motivation is not to unite Terra under his banner but to prevent anymore wars which have occurred throughout Terra's history until now. Wheels is not above taking things into his own hands to get the result he expects. If that includes forgetting to mention a small asset that the "new" owner's should have known about? oops. No Wheels does not consider himself a hero. He just wants to be Terra's Champion.
Wheels
Cursing Footman
Cursing Footman

Postby Keybounce2 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:08 am

So politician then. Ok.
Until November 12, this is me.
Keybounce2
Young and Foolish
Young and Foolish

Postby ghostrunner » Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:54 am

i dunno. unless its in the old west, politicians don't do much, wheels does a lot
may all your hauntings be full apparition- jim
ghostrunner
Squire in Training
Squire in Training

Return to Magical Misfits