Kudzu Plot

When the flying ships returning to Terra, bringing back magic again, the world and its people were changed forever... now its the home of the Magical Misfits !

Moderator: Wheels

Kudzu Plot

Postby Wheels » Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:23 am

As defined by TV Tropes
The plot for this arc has been resolved, but it's generated other dangling plot points for the story to segue to. Lots of them, enough to provide writing fodder for several arcs, at least. The story marches on, but the next arc works out the same, creating more unexplained plot points than it resolved, and again increases the quantity of unaddressed story threads running in the background. This continues, probably forever. If never resolved, this may be a sign of Bad Writing.

A Kudzu Plot is often a sign of poor planning by the writer, or more pressing issues (say, crossovers or filler episodes). A Kudzu Plot is a common result of very heavily pre-planned and lengthy myth arcs. This trope used to be called the Claremont Coefficient, in honor of the truly epic number of dangling plot threads Chris Claremont amassed as the writer of X-Men. The coefficient suggests that the more Kudzu Plots introduced in an ongoing series, the less likely it becomes that the plots will be addressed.

Tv Tropes also says this about Magical Misfits:"New characters are introduced at a positively frightening rate in ''MagicalMisfits. To be fair, they are usually given distinctive backstories, but it does somewhat lead to a Kudzu Plot."
Should I cry They also accuse some of the biggies of this Girl Genius and Schlock Mercenary to name two. More important is it true? What do you all think? What can I do to improve? I love new charaters.
Wheels
Cursing Footman
Cursing Footman

Postby Hogan » Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:33 pm

First of all... congratulations with having made a the Tropes! :D
That might bring by a few more readers...

Second... nice job of getting mention along with Genius and Schlock Mercenary, two of the heavy hitters of the webcomic industry! :D

But are you doing Kudzo Plots? I don't think so... you usually get this resolved at one point, sometimes just postponing it, but on the fly I can only remember one dangling plotline, namely the one regarding Bollock, Wheel's last son... and I'm quite sure we'll get around to him sooner or later :D
... of course there's also the curiosity about the Krieger-family, but its not exactly a plot point...

You introducing a hell of a lot of characters? You do! And its one heck of a job keeping up with who's who, thats for sure! However, usually give them a short description to go with them, and its not like you spend page after page introducing a character just to leave him or her again, they normally stay around to get their job done, then resurfaces later to show that they are still around and not forgotten!

About keeping old characters around, take a lok at Tangents comments regarding Schlock Mercenary and all the characters and plots that have been introduced there :)

Other cartoonist have been notorious for apparently having a plotline dangling for years, then suddenly pulling it out for resolving it, at the same time pointing out that the solution was hinted at years ago, meaning that the plot never dangled, just needed to be resolved at the right time!

Nope, don't cry, enjoy being reviewe dand commented on, bringing people by to judge for themselves :9
You DO get derailed once in a while by crossovers and various other evetns, but you are extremely good of fusing them into the current storyline and/or building a whole story up around them that fit into the continuity (then there are off course time-travel, backstories being told etc... ;) ).

You just keep up the good job you are doing, the way you are doing it! :)
Avatar is Hogan cameoing in Misfits of Mischief by ROAR
Hogan
DM of Deities

Postby littlebeast » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:52 am

Personally, I think Kudzu Plot is a good thing.
...I seem to be having trouble explaining why, though.

What I mean is, with Kudzu Plot, when you go on to the next storyline, you'll actually be continuing a previous plot thread, not just making up something new. Which means that it actually connects to the previous plots, rather than just being another random adventure with the same characters. Er....

Okay I fail at explaining BUT I THINK IT'S A GOOD THING OKAY?
Obligatory link to my comic
I have currently have 1 ninja point here.
Current status: Nincada.
littlebeast
Cursing Footman
Cursing Footman

Postby KAMics » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:48 am

I suppose the questions you have to ask yourself are:

1. Are you introducing new characters at the expense of old characters?

2. Do your new characters have the same, or very similar, personalities as old characters?
The KAMics - Comic
The KAMics - Comic Mirror
KAMic's Kast - Who's Who
KAM's Fanart - Fanart
KAM's Books - My work in print
KAMics
#1 CameoWhore
#1 CameoWhore

Postby Xade » Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:50 pm

I must admit, you do have a lot of characters and congrats on getting on TT that is a high honor, to get reviewed, remember, any publicity is good publicity for people will get curious on why they (meaning you) got such a bad review and want to see the horror, or even wonder for themselves. I got a review and my readership skyrocketed.

Of course I do sometimes do crossovers, and I do cameo stories, as you can aptest to, but mainly it's all a master plot to make Insanity of Xade the best sought after webcomic in the universe! muahahaha. Lol, just kidding but I normally try to further my own story with them. For instance, Jeff's transformation and it will also show one of Alexis's many jobs.

However, cameo stories and crossovers do help to promote the comic, my readership has jumped since we started this and I do thank you for the opportunity to further both of our comics and add some traffic.

Also at KAM I hope my characters are each unique, although Aden and Alex are similar, but that is to be expected since Aden is Alex's many great grandfather.

oh yeah, Hogan, what's the chance of getting my own section of the dragonboard?
My twitter My Facebook

Ask Aden things @ IoX forum
Xade
Hardened Rookie
Hardened Rookie

Location: Ohio, USA, sitting before my computer either drawing or web browsing

Postby Hogan » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:41 pm

Xade wrote:oh yeah, Hogan, what's the chance of getting my own section of the dragonboard?

About 100% if you ask nicely :wink:
Hogan
DM of Deities

Postby ghostrunner » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:04 am

actually the difference between the net and a book is a web comic can go on indefinately. in that case the more plots the better especially if you get years down the road and actually solve one >_>. where as a book has a finite amount of pages and thus has to introduce a plot, hammer out the plot, end the plot, and if possible suggest other books or charictors by the author. from what i gather your plot lines do converge (which is the big universal arguement,) then you toss out more lines to drag people in to the next story, and yes, years down the road we have convergence!

congrats on being reviewed, :)
may all your hauntings be full apparition- jim
ghostrunner
Squire in Training
Squire in Training

Postby KAMics » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:36 am

ghostrunner - You're forgetting comic books that can have plots that run years before plots get resolved Chris Claremont (of the Claremont Coefficient) was infamous for creating dangling plot threads &, apparently, forgetting about them.

Also the longer something runs the more fans worry about Author Existence Failure where if the author dies they may never know what was going on.

congrats on getting on TT that is a high honor, to get reviewed

His page says "0 Reviews" so he hasn't been reviewed yet.

Also TV Tropes is a wiki that can be edited by anyone. Anyone can create a page. I think I created the MM page, although I'm not positive. I think after reading the Mechanical Horse entry.

He does have several people adding entries to it which is nice. My page, on the other hand, is single-handedly done by me, which is disappointing. (Nobody loves my comic! :cry: ) :wink:

Heck, someone (don't know who) created a page for the Crossover Wars, it just needs someone to write up a description & add some examples.
The KAMics - Comic
The KAMics - Comic Mirror
KAMic's Kast - Who's Who
KAM's Fanart - Fanart
KAM's Books - My work in print
KAMics
#1 CameoWhore
#1 CameoWhore

Postby Hogan » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:42 am

KAMics wrote:ghostrunner - You're forgetting comic books that can have plots that run years before plots get resolved Chris Claremont (of the Claremont Coefficient) was infamous for creating dangling plot threads &, apparently, forgetting about them.

I wholehearthy agree, and Claremont was not the only one of Marvel to set up plot points and abandoning them... its even worse when a series change writer and the new one takes the comic in a new direction, forgetting previously dangling plot points, adding to them later...

KAMics wrote:He does have several people adding entries to it which is nice. My page, on the other hand, is single-handedly done by me, which is disappointing. (Nobody loves my comic! :cry: ) :wink:

More likely few people know the entry exists unless they are specifically browsing for it... I am not a regular of the Tropes (and the same goes for wikis), usually only visiting them when you or others link to them...
Perhaps if artists made sure to link to their various articles on the Tropes, Wiki's etc. somewhere so readers could find them and stop by to update?
I know I make an update once in a while to the few webcomic-wikis I DO know about (and has some cameo-content already...) :)

KAMics wrote:Heck, someone (don't know who) created a page for the Crossover Wars, it just needs someone to write up a description & add some examples.

Yes, seriously... somebody get to it! :twisted:
... and I will follow up on my own advice form previously immediately! :roll:
Hogan
DM of Deities

Postby Wheels » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:43 am

KAMics wrote:
Also TV Tropes is a wiki that can be edited by anyone. Anyone can create a page. I think I created the MM page, although I'm not positive. I think after reading the Mechanical Horse entry.

He does have several people adding entries to it which is nice. My page, on the other hand, is single-handedly done by me, which is disappointing. (Nobody loves my comic! :cry: ) :wink:

Heck, someone (don't know who) created a page for the Crossover Wars, it just needs someone to write up a description & add some examples.

Thank you KAM I always wondered how they have the time to look at my comic. And you are right I have never been reviewed (Had a close call once) I have never been nominated for an award and I can't get Wordpress to work. And one other thing..... I love the KAMics
Wheels
Cursing Footman
Cursing Footman

Postby Xade » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:38 pm

well, wheels, I guess I should get on the ball, send you some snaps on how to add me and get you started so you can just upload and go. but be warned you need a special format like YYYY-MM-DD-title. You have a big archive, im on google messenger all day EST I can help :)
My twitter My Facebook

Ask Aden things @ IoX forum
Xade
Hardened Rookie
Hardened Rookie

Location: Ohio, USA, sitting before my computer either drawing or web browsing

Return to Magical Misfits