A home of my own

When the flying ships returning to Terra, bringing back magic again, the world and its people were changed forever... now its the home of the Magical Misfits !

Moderator: Wheels

A home of my own

Postby Wheels » Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:11 am

Magical Misfits has been on Drunk Duck for just under 900 pages. So I bought the Domain magicalmisfits.net . I think me and this strip might work out. I looked to try and get Magicalmisfits.com but it wasn't available. After doing my transaction it occured to me that there must be another Magical Misfits out there. (I already know of one) So I typed magicalmisfits.com into my browser. It took me to a seedy rundown part of the internet. You know the place old run down web sites homeless pixels begging on the corners. Abandoned transactions parked in the streets. I found magicalmisfits.com all boarded up and abandoned. There was a nasty note to contact the administrator or something like that on the door. No hot links or identifiers of any kind. My question is, If someone is not paying the bills for magicalmisfits.com when will it become available and how do I get it?
Now this will all be moot if I can't figure out how to get the new website up and running. I am a computer moron.
Wheels
Cursing Footman
Cursing Footman

Postby Wheels » Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:07 am

The saga begins
Well trying to buy an expired domain is apparently equitant of the internet shell game! Holy Crap organized crime has more scrupels! I couldn't believe it mysterious people wispering "make me an offer Ill see what I can do." Then they come back with "hey buddy dis iz a waluble property youse want. We gonna need some more scratch if'n you know what I mean?"Then the disapear with your money. I feel dirty. So www.magicalmisfits.net it is! Now to figure out Word Press and Comic press and Strip Show (Don't google that at work by the way) :oops:
Wheels
Cursing Footman
Cursing Footman

Postby Hogan » Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:11 am

Wheels wrote:The saga begins
Well trying to buy an expired domain is apparently equitant of the internet shell game! Holy Crap organized crime has more scrupels! I couldn't believe it mysterious people wispering "make me an offer Ill see what I can do." Then they come back with "hey buddy dis iz a waluble property youse want. We gonna need some more scratch if'n you know what I mean?"Then the disapear with your money. I feel dirty. So www.magicalmisfits.net it is! Now to figure out Word Press and Comic press and Strip Show (Don't google that at work by the way) :oops:

You know... I tried following some of the same ways to give you a hand, and I ended up in more deserted back alleys with only one exit and haunted shadows around me than I want to remember... :(

www.magicalmisfits.net for the win!
Avatar is Hogan cameoing in Misfits of Mischief by ROAR
Hogan
DM of Deities

Postby Wheels » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:08 am

I think I am just on the edge of getting a real Comicpress comic up. Imust have missed one step. I hate feeling this helpless! The problem is that I cant get a Comicpress theme up and running. The Wodpress won't show me the comicpress theme option even though the FTP shows the program sitting there fat dumb and happy. Unlike me that's Fat Dumb and unhappy. Well as time comes available I will keep slaming my head against the wall.
Wheels
Cursing Footman
Cursing Footman

Postby Wheels » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:16 am

apparently I have failed to edit a file correctly. (eep) I don't know how to do that! I may have paid money for something that I am not going to be able to use since I am too dumb! arrrgh I must find someone to teach me this stuff using small words and not to many of them.
Wheels
Cursing Footman
Cursing Footman

Postby Hogan » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:39 am

*whaps Ron with the newspaper... Sunday edition*

Don't get your head down! You've been at this for 2-3 days only, in no time you will teach US the tricks!

Now, I'll see if I can whip a wordpress knowing specimen up somewhere...
Hogan
DM of Deities

Postby ghostrunner » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:57 am

i use wyzziwig from pablo software. its not phenominal as far as updates but i have a spare copy of #4 if you want, talk to dawn griffin of zorphbert and fred. www.zfcomics.com or even xade will have a few tricks for you if you want to keep comics press
may all your hauntings be full apparition- jim
ghostrunner
Squire in Training
Squire in Training

Postby Wheels » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:39 am

Thanks for the offer Jim but against all odds I have gotten Comicpress to work. I have managed to load a couple of months of strips and I am begining to make head way as to how it works. I will wait until Dad heads back to Florida before trying to do anthing fancy. ie gallery.cast, or load the other strips such as Touch and Go Tommy etc. Feels kinda good having my own site. Now to make it spectacular!
Wheels
Cursing Footman
Cursing Footman

Postby ghostrunner » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:00 am

i understand. the only reason i went to drunk duck was on the advice from mookie of dominic deegan. didnt have the technical know how to put up a comic genisis site though.
may all your hauntings be full apparition- jim
ghostrunner
Squire in Training
Squire in Training

Postby Xade » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:05 pm

Ron pulled out the big guns and got me on the case on the third day :) (actually, I took pity on him and decided to help, since he's helped me so much on cameos and minicrossovers.) Once I got him to add an admin acct for me, I tore everything down, checked things, out, added some plugins to make life easier and triple checked everything. I even installed admin notes, so we can leave messages for each other. I havent done anything to make the site look better, waiting on input from Ron, but at least it purrs like an Xadian dragon.
My twitter My Facebook

Ask Aden things @ IoX forum
Xade
Hardened Rookie
Hardened Rookie

Location: Ohio, USA, sitting before my computer either drawing or web browsing

Re: A home of my own

Postby Keybounce » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:48 pm

Ouch.

I just found out that if you are looking at magicalmisfits.net, you won't see the recent updates on drunkduck.
"So my Mom left me a huge heap of molding, rotten, decaying, puss-dripping zombies ... How cool is that?"

"So what is your advice to me?"
"Stop doing stupid crap."
Keybounce
Squire in Training
Squire in Training

Re: A home of my own

Postby Hogan » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:33 pm

Keybounce wrote:Ouch.

I just found out that if you are looking at magicalmisfits.net, you won't see the recent updates on drunkduck.

I think I can answer this one...

Since Ron is out at sea, he has no internet connection and cannot do updates... the current updates on DrunkDuck are managed by rmcool (even though Ron's avatar appears from time to time due to a DD glitch) since DD has a nice "assistent"-feature, even the last batch of "regular" MM-strips have been updated by Riley since Ron managed to mail them to her (he is away from the net, but not his drawing materials!).

Riley does not (as far as I know) have access to Magicalmisfits.net, hence it will probably not be fully updated before we have Ron back on land again...
Hogan
DM of Deities

Return to Magical Misfits