TvTropes needs a PSI page

For the general talk and chatter about news, events and ideas of the world of webcomics, stuff that is for everyone, and not just belong under a seperate forum.

TvTropes needs a PSI page

Postby Keybounce » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:55 am

"So my Mom left me a huge heap of molding, rotten, decaying, puss-dripping zombies ... How cool is that?"

"So what is your advice to me?"
"Stop doing stupid crap."
Keybounce
Squire in Training
Squire in Training

Re: TvTropes needs a PSI page

Postby fesworks » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:16 pm

I have no idea about TV Tropes, so I'm staying out of it. My comic is too damn effed up all over the place.

EDIT: I'm just hoping I don;t have to deal with incorrect information. Feel free to ask me specifics (on my email or website), if something may not be clear enough.
fesworks
Charging Knight
Charging Knight

Postby Hogan » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:33 pm

Added the first trope to the entry ;)
Avatar is Hogan cameoing in Misfits of Mischief by ROAR
Hogan
DM of Deities

Postby Keybounce2 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:56 pm

Where was the "Catnap pulls Fesworks into a forced crossover" comic again?
Until November 12, this is me.
Keybounce2
Young and Foolish
Young and Foolish

Postby Keybounce2 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:09 pm

Should PSI be classified (indexed) as (under "WebComics") a Furry, Meta, Sci-fi (or Embellished), or Unclassified? (Or something else) (It can be more than one).

Key points:

Furry: i.e. the story would be different if the characters were just drawn as humans.
Meta: Destroy the 4th wall. Ok, that, at least, fits

I don't think it fits "Magical Realism": One guideline (just a guideline, not a rule) for distinguishing magical realism from other types of fantasy is that in magical realism, no one controls the magic; there are no wizards. Magic just happens, much like the weather.

And then there's Mundane Fantastic: More than the Fantastic Comedy (which is still predominantly normal), the complete mesh of fantastic elements into a universe nonetheless treated as mundane for the most part. It is not ruled by suspension of disbelief since the fantastic elements are presented in a logical fashion; the audience does not demand a plausible explanation.
Keybounce2
Young and Foolish
Young and Foolish

Postby KAMics » Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:31 am

Keybounce2 wrote:Where was the "Catnap pulls Fesworks into a forced crossover" comic again?

http://psiwebcomic.com/132-135a.php

Furry certainly, while it has Meta elements I don't think that's a driving force in the comic & it seems like Fesworks is trying to get away from it & focus on story.
The KAMics - Comic
The KAMics - Comic Mirror
KAMic's Kast - Who's Who
KAM's Fanart - Fanart
KAM's Books - My work in print
KAMics
#1 CameoWhore
#1 CameoWhore

Postby fesworks » Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:38 am

KAMics wrote:
Keybounce2 wrote:Where was the "Catnap pulls Fesworks into a forced crossover" comic again?

http://psiwebcomic.com/132-135a.php

Furry certainly, while it has Meta elements I don't think that's a driving force in the comic & it seems like Fesworks is trying to get away from it & focus on story.

No, that's wrong, that's the OLD archive. I should probably delete all those old pages.
fesworks
Charging Knight
Charging Knight

Postby fesworks » Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:45 am

Keybounce2 wrote:Should PSI be classified (indexed) as (under "WebComics") a Furry, Meta, Sci-fi (or Embellished), or Unclassified? (Or something else) (It can be more than one).

Key points:

Furry: i.e. the story would be different if the characters were just drawn as humans.
Meta: Destroy the 4th wall. Ok, that, at least, fits

I don't think it fits "Magical Realism": One guideline (just a guideline, not a rule) for distinguishing magical realism from other types of fantasy is that in magical realism, no one controls the magic; there are no wizards. Magic just happens, much like the weather.

And then there's Mundane Fantastic: More than the Fantastic Comedy (which is still predominantly normal), the complete mesh of fantastic elements into a universe nonetheless treated as mundane for the most part. It is not ruled by suspension of disbelief since the fantastic elements are presented in a logical fashion; the audience does not demand a plausible explanation.

PSI is both a Furry AND Human. the angle is that all animals (not just apes) evolved into humanoids.... so.. I guess, kinda, it is furry.... and humans and really apes? huh? Anyway... Actually, the comic would not be too different if it were just human, really.

Meta for sure. While I hate to admit it, it's core to the comic as-is. However, I'm working on ignoring direct 4th wall breaking, but acknowledging other "worlds", etc... aside from "side strips".

Sci-Fi? Not really. Magick is integral to the overall story. Science exists as well. I mean, if I ever explain the magick, it would use pseudo science to explain it, but that's a line blur with Supernatural as well. *bucks the system*

I'd rather not have the Drunk Duck link. I'd rather people NOT go there, as the archive is a damn mess because editing it correctly would be a pain in the ass. The main site has all the crossovers in a nice order instead of linking out.
fesworks
Charging Knight
Charging Knight

Postby Keybounce2 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:33 pm

So ... you have three copies of the archives???

One on drunk duck that you want people to stop using
One at http://psiwebcomic.com/132-135a.php that you want to delete for being old

And a third one that you want us to use ... linky?

PSI is both a Furry AND Human. the angle is that all animals (not just apes) evolved into humanoids.... so.. I guess, kinda, it is furry.... and humans and really apes? huh? Anyway... Actually, the comic would not be too different if it were just human, really.

So if it wouldn't be different if it were just humans, then it's just "furry art", and doesn't get classified as furry on TvTropes. Ok.

Sci-Fi? Not really. Magick is integral to the overall story. Science exists as well. I mean, if I ever explain the magick, it would use pseudo science to explain it, but that's a line blur with Supernatural as well. *bucks the system*

So magic is just a "normal" part of life in this world. There are some people who manipulate it, but no one looks for an explanation; it just is.

I think that fits the Mundane Fantastic classification over there.
Keybounce2
Young and Foolish
Young and Foolish

Postby fesworks » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:39 pm

Keybounce2 wrote:So ... you have three copies of the archives???

One on drunk duck that you want people to stop using
One at http://psiwebcomic.com/132-135a.php that you want to delete for being old

And a third one that you want us to use ... linky?

The trouble is that trying to edit the Drunk Duck archives is a pain in the ass, as well as linking. The DD archives are fucked up, as far as the main site. Honestly, I wish people would stop using the DD site. On the main site, the Catnap sequence is 4 pages, starting with: http://psiwebcomic.com/comics/124

Keybounce2 wrote:

So if it wouldn't be different if it were just humans, then it's just "furry art", and doesn't get classified as furry on TvTropes. Ok.

It's not exclusively furry, no. A few webcomics have Human + Furry worlds. The Earth of Jack *technically* is Human and Furry, because humans existed in the past. Though 95% of it's content is Furry-only stuff). Also Two Way Mirror, while a dead webcomic now, had a co-world of humans and furries. Like PSI, the world seems to always have been that way. Also, Kaspall is another Human + Furry comic, though it's a matter of dimensional displacement, so the planet itself wasn't that diverse. The comic itself seems fairly even handed between human and furry characters... a bit like PSI.

I'll say that this isn't entirely a genre on its own, but people tend to lump them in with Furry comics. For sake of argument, It doesn't matter too much to me. I'm fine with Furry designation, but I always say "Furry + Human". *shrug*

Keybounce2 wrote:

So magic is just a "normal" part of life in this world. There are some people who manipulate it, but no one looks for an explanation; it just is.

I think that fits the Mundane Fantastic classification over there.

If you'd read Supernormal Step.... which is more than a human comic, and not really a furry comic... It's a mixed being planet. It's predominately human character focused. It's also a matter of being another dimension too. In the current dimension, most people can do some level of magick, and requires training and such. Magick is by no means rare. But like PSI, you have some people that can do a lot of magick, and some that can not. There also exists science and all the stuff too.
fesworks
Charging Knight
Charging Knight

Postby fesworks » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:28 pm

I updated my TV Trope page information, but I did not add any Tropes.... However, I am certain there are more tropes that should be on there. Bodil would maybe be an "Ascended Extra". Not sure. Something similar, but I'm not trope diving. I'm also trying not to get involved, except for accuracy.
fesworks
Charging Knight
Charging Knight

Postby KAMics » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:51 pm

fesworks wrote:Bodil would maybe be an "Ascended Extra".

Since Bodil herself only ever appeared as Nemi's alternate form, I'm not sure she qualifies as an Extra. Although I do believe there is a trope for people splitting in two, I just can't think of what it's called.
The KAMics - Comic
The KAMics - Comic Mirror
KAMic's Kast - Who's Who
KAM's Fanart - Fanart
KAM's Books - My work in print
KAMics
#1 CameoWhore
#1 CameoWhore

Postby fesworks » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:07 pm

KAMics wrote:
fesworks wrote:Bodil would maybe be an "Ascended Extra".

Since Bodil herself only ever appeared as Nemi's alternate form, I'm not sure she qualifies as an Extra. Although I do believe there is a trope for people splitting in two, I just can't think of what it's called.

According to the backstory (that Nemi had explained), Bodil and Nemi's souls were combined, meaning Bodil was originally separate. Later, through the crystal, their souls were separated. Though, right now, not that much is happening with Bodil, unless you pay attention to the current arc.
fesworks
Charging Knight
Charging Knight

Return to General Webcomic Chatter