The Nemesis Void - Potential intra-comic, er, nemesis?

For the general talk and chatter about news, events and ideas of the world of webcomics, stuff that is for everyone, and not just belong under a seperate forum.

The Nemesis Void - Potential intra-comic, er, nemesis?

Postby NeoDarklight » Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:17 am

Basically, I proposed an idea on the EOU chatbox where a sentient void opposes all that exists. I only recently, here in this topic post, dub it the Nemesis Void. Basically, what if there existed an entity whose very existence, or rather, lack thereof, was of opposing all that was, is, and is to come? Whose very nature, or, again, lack thereof, was to erase all realities by any means possible? Being neither good nor evil, it desires only one thing: absolute oblivion. What are your opinions? I'll answer any questions that you may have about this idea, which, truthfully, was inspired by my friend's friend.
The difference between good and evil is only perception. That's why I choose an alignment of chaotic neutral, so I don't have to worry over such stupid things as morals.
NeoDarklight
Green Apprentice
Green Apprentice

Re: The Nemesis Void - Potential intra-comic, er, nemesis?

Postby Net » Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:31 pm

Like Oblivion, in Elvenbaath. Like, 100% identical to Oblivion, in Elvenbaath. :)
ImageImage
Net
Squire in Training
Squire in Training

Postby NeoDarklight » Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:45 pm

Not quite. Oblivion in Elvenbaath was more machine-like and had a physical form. He could be hurt, though it does take tremendous effort. The Nemesis Void has no physical form because it does not technically exist. It is the nothingness that is outside of every universe. The Nemesis Void does not occupy any dimension and instead, "exists" outside of any reality, to be more precise. It can, however, "create" avatars by inserting a piece of its non-existence into different realities. The avatars then take on whatever "form" it wants.
The difference between good and evil is only perception. That's why I choose an alignment of chaotic neutral, so I don't have to worry over such stupid things as morals.
NeoDarklight
Green Apprentice
Green Apprentice

Postby AquaDrake » Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:59 am

Hmm. If you are familiar with the TORG role playing game, that sounds like the entity that was behind the darkness devices that the big bads in that campaign world were using (the big bads were being used by it without realizing it).

This entity essentially created, or otherwise gave, devices to locally powerful creatures; these devices allowed them to cross realities, and conquer other realities; as they did, this void entity would gain strength, and eventually gain enough power to erase creation.

That's exceedingly trimmed, but the two paragraph summary.

Sounds like it's not an original trope; maybe someone should create a trope page for it?
AquaDrake
Petty Toddler
Petty Toddler

Postby NeoDarklight » Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:21 am

No idea what TORG means, and I've never played a tabletop RPG in my life (though, admittedly, I want to but have no cash), but that is the closest thing anyone's ever gotten to actually nailing my idea. Instead of giving objects to creatures that, when used, made said entity more powerful, it instead creates avatars, so to speak, of its power in specific realities. I'm thinking of making them bound to each reality, but maintaining a direct link to the Nemesis Void so they can relay information to each other through their master. The point is, the longer the avatars stay in the realities they are bound to, the more they distort and weaken that reality and the more powerful the Nemesis Void becomes. At a certain point, the Nemesis Void would be able to assimilate the reality into its nothingness and get a major boost to its sentience and strength. Remember, this is still in the idea phase and anything can be altered at any point to make things more interesting or balanced. The whole point of making the Nemesis void have no form and the avatars being able to choose their own was to give all artists as much creative freedom as possible with the concept, while still having enough common points to make it clear that the "nemeses" are all related to each other and that the big bad is the same.
NeoDarklight
Green Apprentice
Green Apprentice

Postby Mae » Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:13 pm

I think I already use something somewhat similar to this concept.

I've always called it a parasitic being, but I suppose it's closer to certain virus or even cancers. The main purpose of it's whole is to convert (people, animals, machines, inanimate objects, rocks, trees, water, etc) into itself and it consumes what it cannot convert. It's not bent on trying to destroy or turn everything into nothingness. It's a hungry, empty thing that's trying to fill the void (physically and mentally/emotionally/psychologically) inside it. It's becoming more sentient, but at the same time it's becoming more desperate. It's also quite large; it's already assimilated/consumed an entire city. I suppose in theory, if it managed to grow big enough to surround an entire planet, it could start going after the core.

A character that I have is a small part that tried to assimilate a child. Skipping long back-story explanations on why and how, the child had antibodies that kept the parasite from completing the process and started attacking the small parasite. The small parasite "broke off" from the boy to preserve itself, was contained, and later discovered to have imprinted the concept of "childhood" from the boy. Currently it acts like a mischievous child, but it's instinct is still there and it's really only a matter of time before it starts getting "hungry" again. A ticking time-bomb with no display.

As for it spreading to other worlds/realities/etc...

::shrugs::

A small part of the child-like one already has.

::smirk::
Standard deviantArt link --> http://kharybdis01.deviantart.com/
Mae
Young and Foolish
Young and Foolish

Postby NeoDarklight » Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:40 pm

Not even close. When it "assimilates" a reality, the reality becomes nothing. In truth, the Nemesis Void is erasing the reality in such a way that another reality cannot take its place. It is, itself, the opposite of the myriad realities that exist, and thus, whenever a universe is born, it grows a little bit weaker. Of course, that part could change, but the point is, it is the natural enemy of every reality. Reality threatens its very nonexistence and it attacks in self-non-preservation, or something like that. Anyways, it found that erasing realities makes itself stronger and smarter, and found that its "assimilation" of them was the most efficient method. One could theorize that Oblivion of Elvenbaath was an early attempt at a method of destroying realities to make itself stronger, but I'll leave that up to the author of that particular series to decide that.
NeoDarklight
Green Apprentice
Green Apprentice

Postby NeoDarklight » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:26 am

Anyone have any more questions?
NeoDarklight
Green Apprentice
Green Apprentice

Postby NeoDarklight » Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:23 am

...Since nobody has any more questions, does anyone want to implement a void avatar in their comic or story or something?
NeoDarklight
Green Apprentice
Green Apprentice

Postby blkknight » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:28 pm

Not really. I'm not big on seemingly invincible, reality-destroying creatures.
blkknight
Young and Foolish
Young and Foolish

Postby NeoDarklight » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:05 pm

I never said it was invincible. You basically just have to beat its avatar, or at least seal it somehow, and your reality is just fine; it can't have more than one avatar per reality. I know that Mindmistress wouldn't have a problem dealing with it, in the end.
NeoDarklight
Green Apprentice
Green Apprentice

Postby Net » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:02 pm

Honestly, most comic creators are rather loathe to add in characters they didn't create or have a hand in creating themselves. Cameos and the like notwithstanding, of course. But I can't recall off the top of my head any of the 500+ comics I read on a monthly basis ever asking for any sort of input from outside regarding new characters like that.
ImageImage
Net
Squire in Training
Squire in Training

Postby NeoDarklight » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:16 pm

New character? I'm just expanding on an old idea, and see what other people think of it. I only made it so that anyone can make their own version is all.
NeoDarklight
Green Apprentice
Green Apprentice

Postby Net » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:06 pm

NeoDarklight wrote:New character? I'm just expanding on an old idea, and see what other people think of it. I only made it so that anyone can make their own version is all.

? ? Um, then...

NeoDarklight wrote:...Since nobody has any more questions, does anyone want to implement a void avatar in their comic or story or something?

isn't adding a new character into a comic? My point is, unless someone's already got PLANS for something of this nature, then yes, it'd be an entirely new character/concept/plot that wasn't there before. And typically, if someone has plans for something this epic of nature - because let's face it, a evil concept like this isn't something that's settled in a single story arc, it'd take months if not YEARS of storytelling to complete -, then they likely need something more tailored to their particular world.

In a nutshell, then... if you're NOT asking people to put your concept of this creature into their comic worlds and stories, then what, exactly ARE you trying to do? Because the slant I've gotten (which I fully admit could be dead wrong), was that you were working up the general concept into a more specific concept, to be plugged into someone's existing comic world.
ImageImage
Net
Squire in Training
Squire in Training

Postby NeoDarklight » Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:43 am

I was throwing around a general concept, basically looked for faults through alternative viewpoints (you guys), refined it, made it customizable, and wanted to see if anyone was interested. I have no ultimate "goal" in this discussion, I just want to spark creativity. Also, the void avatars would be the creations of their respective authors, should they so choose to make one. IE, they would be making the characters themselves, so *I* would not necessarily be adding any characters to anyone's comic. The part about plugging it into someone else's world? Their own choice. The way you described it made it feel as if it were some nefarious scheme to take over the multiverse of webcomics (we all know the results of the last time someone tried that), and it clearly isn't. I was just thinking "Hey, everyone has recently finished this huge crossover story, why not use this idea I conveniently had and see if anyone wants to expand on it for the next one?" when I threw it around first on the chat box over at EOU.
NeoDarklight
Green Apprentice
Green Apprentice

Postby NeoDarklight » Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:10 pm

...and I came up with method of defeating the "Nemesis Void". Since it essentially puts part of its "essence" into its avatars, you can make the avatars take in too much of the Nemesis Void's "essence" and weaken the main thing and seal its avatar in a pocket reality. Or just seal the avatar's access to its abilities. At least, that's what I see particularly intelligent or resourceful protagonists doing.
NeoDarklight
Green Apprentice
Green Apprentice

Postby NeoDarklight » Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:18 am

...and it turns out the RP I'm in has already worked out a feasible version of the Nemesis Void years ago, and simply call it "the Void". If anyone is willing to work with it, you'll simply have to do a tie-in to FanFyria. Or possibly the forum RP "Muse Gate". I can actually see it as a means for MM to get answers to what a Muse is. Assuming she visits Castle Jah.
NeoDarklight
Green Apprentice
Green Apprentice

Return to General Webcomic Chatter