How does one go about creating a webcomic?

For the general talk and chatter about news, events and ideas of the world of webcomics, stuff that is for everyone, and not just belong under a seperate forum.

Re: How does one go about creating a webcomic?

Postby Mae » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:41 pm

Aah. I think my mother has a copy of the first book (I recognize the cover)... next time I visit her, I think I'm going to borrow it. From the teaser line you gave, I'm pretty sure you picked up the sequel. I found the first chapter of that one online, and it didn't seem too bad. If I find the books, I'll read them and let you know how they are; you're still writing your story, you should avoid cross-contamination. Even if they're horrible, it might be worth your while to pick them up after you finish your story and compare to make sure you're not accidentally doing something similar.

Reading up on the author, it seems that the first book was, indeed, one of his first real manuscripts. It was rejected multiple times before Del Ray Books finally accepted it. The author himself admits that it didn't do too well, and the only reason he made a sequel is because the book had a very small, but rather loyal, fan-base and that he sort of lost a bet with one of the fans; if he got more than $10,000 in royalties, he'd write the sequel. His cheque was for $10,088.--, which surprised the hell out of him, and so he made good on the bet.
Standard deviantArt link --> http://kharybdis01.deviantart.com/
Mae
Young and Foolish
Young and Foolish

Postby NeoDarklight » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:23 am

That's... actually quite funny. Well, I'm sure it's not the worst sci-fi ever written, but judging from what happened, I honestly can't say it's the best.
The difference between good and evil is only perception. That's why I choose an alignment of chaotic neutral, so I don't have to worry over such stupid things as morals.
NeoDarklight
Green Apprentice
Green Apprentice

Postby littlebeast » Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:06 am

I wouldn't worry about it. Every story has some things similar to it.

Anyway. It's mostly serious with some comedy in it, right? Hmm. You could maybe do "90% human, 10% <something>". But most likely things in the "9/10ths human" vein are going to sound pretty serious, unless you do that and make the <something> something ridiculous. But I don't know, this is something you need to figure out.

This post was Very Unhelpful(tm)!
Obligatory link to my comic
I have currently have 1 ninja point here.
Current status: Nincada.
littlebeast
Cursing Footman
Cursing Footman

Postby NeoDarklight » Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:20 am

...My artwork SUCKS! I find I do okay on curved lines and right (viewer's left) sides of faces and on eyes, but hair and everything else sucks! Looks like I have 2 options: 1. I work very hard every day and get to tolerable levels of artwork, despite multiple intensive college courses and an unpredictable home life, or 2. I find someone with decent skills, free time to completely waste, selfless enough to not desire compensation or commission, and crazy enough to actually agree. I don't know about you guys, but seeing as the sheer number of people on the internet, I'm thinking option #2 is more likely. I'd better get to work on final character touch-ups and start on chapter synopses.
The difference between good and evil is only perception. That's why I choose an alignment of chaotic neutral, so I don't have to worry over such stupid things as morals.
NeoDarklight
Green Apprentice
Green Apprentice

Postby AquaDrake » Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:38 am

"Mostly Human"
"Mostly Human and harmless"
AquaDrake
Petty Toddler
Petty Toddler

Postby NeoDarklight » Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:08 am

@AquaDrake: That would be a comic about myself, if I'd ever write it, seeing as I'm autistic and all.
NeoDarklight
Green Apprentice
Green Apprentice

Postby NeoDarklight » Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:05 am

I recently downloaded GIMP, seeing as I am on the No Budget Special, so can anybody give me some directions to a decent tutorial that I don't have to download? It works more like Photoshop now, BTW (I only know that because my brother's fiancee uses GIMP).

On a completely unrelated note, I have decided that my future occupation will be an engineer of some sort. Now if only I could decide what kind of engineer...
NeoDarklight
Green Apprentice
Green Apprentice

Postby NeoDarklight » Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:58 am

Seriously, does anybody have any advice on GIMP at all?
NeoDarklight
Green Apprentice
Green Apprentice

Postby ghostrunner » Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:23 am

well, lets begin, what are you looking to do? are you scanning and using gimp to color or are you drawing into it directly? i just need to figure out where you stand on it. oh, and send me one pic of your work to mungsback at yahoo.com so i can see what you're doing
may all your hauntings be full apparition- jim
ghostrunner
Squire in Training
Squire in Training

Postby NeoDarklight » Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:37 pm

I'm planning on using it to draw directly, but I'm an absolute beginner. That's why I was asking for links to tutorials and such, so I could get the hang of it. At this point in time, people who do stick figure drawings are better than I am.
NeoDarklight
Green Apprentice
Green Apprentice

Postby gnume » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:07 am

NeoDarklight wrote:I'm planning on using it to draw directly, but I'm an absolute beginner. That's why I was asking for links to tutorials and such, so I could get the hang of it. At this point in time, people who do stick figure drawings are better than I am.

try the gimp site it has good selection of different levels of tutorials
http://www.gimp.org/tutorials/
gnume
Green Apprentice
Green Apprentice

Postby NeoDarklight » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:23 am

...and I just found out that DeviantART has its OWN program that actually works with my tablet back home. Any tutorials I can get on that?
NeoDarklight
Green Apprentice
Green Apprentice

Postby littlebeast » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:48 am

Don't know squat about the DevArt program, so no on that one.

For GIMP, um, I dunno, use the paintbrush tool and have ctrl-z ready?

All I can say is, the more you work with it, the better you'll get. Oh, and people are perfectly willing to read comics with bad art. As long as it's good enough that you can tell what it's supposed to be. Actually probably even lower than that if the writing's good enough.

I think basically what I am saying here is STOP WORRYING ABOUT HOW TO DO IT AND JUST DO IT.
Obligatory link to my comic
I have currently have 1 ninja point here.
Current status: Nincada.
littlebeast
Cursing Footman
Cursing Footman

Previous

Return to General Webcomic Chatter