2008 Web Cartoonists' Choice Awards!

For the general talk and chatter about news, events and ideas of the world of webcomics, stuff that is for everyone, and not just belong under a seperate forum.

2008 Web Cartoonists' Choice Awards!

Postby Hogan » Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:54 am

Once again its time to sharpen our minds and give our best suggestions for this year's achievements in the Webcomic Industry!

Off course, I'm talking about the 2008 Web Cartoonists' Choice Awards!, but if you have read the title of this thread, you probably already knew that... :wink:

In the previous years many have complained about the the Awards being to amateurish, not serious enought, TOO serious, too badly plotted, as well as cursed with malfunctioning in the balloting system. This has caused many to leave the Awards behind, not bothering to register and vote...

However, as of myself I see the Awards as a funny feature in the Webcomic Society, you might call it the Oscar of Webcomics (just served in a lighter mood and without Billy Crystal anything near it). It has its problems, and even though they've changed the catagories and some rules for this years competition, I can still see faetures I'm not entirely fond of, as well as room for improvement.
BUT... if we turn our back to the Awards, there's never the chance of it being a solid annuarly major event in the Webcomic Universe, a feature celebrating the achievements of the various artists and writers, a feature that perpaps can help promoting Webcomics as a whole as well as giving hardworking artists and writers the boost of confidence that can keep the dreaded Hiatus Bomb at bay

So therefore... use your power, use your vote!

Here's a few helpfull F&Q's as taken from the main website

WHO'S ELIGIBLE TO VOTE?
Anyone with an active webcomic is eligible to participate, whether you are a writer, illustrator, colorist, or the all-in-one cartoonist. Only one person per webcomic may vote, though, so if you're part of a writer/artist team, you'll have to fight it out with your partner first (no fights to the death, please -- we're a peace-loving event, honest!).

WHO'S ELIGIBLE TO WIN?
Any webcomic that was active between February of 2007 up to the present is eligible to win as many categories as they qualify for. Common sense rules apply, of course (a full-color webcomic can't win the "Outstanding Black & White Art" category, just like a five-year veteran can't win "Outstanding Newcomer"), but we trust your judgement -- I mean, hey, if you're smart enough to realize how awesome webcomics are, then you're clearly one heckuva intelligent and all-around great person.

HOW DO I VOTE?
Once you're registered, you can nominate up to to three of your favorite comics for each available category. You don't have to nominate people in each category if you don't want -- it's all up to you to vote for as many (up to 3 per category) or as little as you want. The choice is yours!

HOW DO I REGISTER?An excellent question! In order to register for voting privileges, please write to trbinth@aol.com to request your nomination instructions. Also check back to this website for more information, as it comes.

As for now, get registered, get your nominees mailed in and wait for the true voting to begin!
Avatar is Hogan cameoing in Misfits of Mischief by ROAR
Hogan
DM of Deities

Postby Hogan » Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:34 pm

Well, with the ballot closing at Wednesday Midnight East Coast 23th, this is my suggestions, t hough they will probably change a little before I submit my suggestions...

And yes, not all of them are filled out yet, and not all of them will be filled... I was too busy with other projects in 2007 to really take close notice of a lot of comics. so...

Outstanding Comic of 2007
Parallel Dementia

Outstanding Newcomer of 2007

Outstanding Artist of 2007

Outstanding Writer of 2007
Candi
Tales of the Travelling Gnome

Outstanding Character Writing of 2007
Atavism
Misfile

Outstanding Long Form Comic of 2007
Weregeek
Rogues of Cwlyd-Rhan

Outstanding Short Form Comic of 2007
Shortpacked
Life & Death

Outstanding Single Form Comic of 2007

Outstanding Comedic Writing of 2007
Emergency Exit
Brat-Halla

Outstanding Dramatic Writing of 2007
Yu+Me
CRFH

Outstanding Layout of 2007
Parallel Dementia

Outstanding Use of Colors of 2007
Tales of the Travelling Gnome
Parallel Dementia

Outstanding Black & White Art of 2007
YAGC
Misfile
Cheers

Outstanding Photographic Comic of 2007
Legostar Galactica - The only Photo-comic I read, but damn good.

Outstanding Character Rendering of 2007
Life & Death - During the last year Joff has really managed to get a whole lot of soul and details into his characters, hence my nomination.
American Gothic - What can I say? Among witches and vampires, Gothia's characters are really well fleshed out and natural.

Outstanding Environment Design of 2007
Rogues of Cwlyd-Rhan - Reinder has, in the world of Cwlyd-Rhanm rally managed to create a lot of unique setting and a totall unique world to boot.

Outstanding Website Design of 2007

Outstanding Use of the Medium of 2007

If you are available for voting, and don't have any serious suggestion, feel free to use one of the above... the more who votes, the better the chance 8)
Hogan
DM of Deities

Postby Hogan » Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:37 am

And the most nominated comics are up and the votings start the coming Friday!

... and with this its proven that the comics I read are not mainstream nor popular enough as a whole to gather enough votes to be nominated...

Naaah... I think I'll sit this year out, I don't read 99% of the comics nominated and have no intentions nor time to read them up so to give a proper contemplation of who to give my votes to...

Anyway, the comics with the readers are the ones who are going to get the votes...
Hogan
DM of Deities

Postby fesworks » Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:19 pm

All I have to say is to keep watch for the Presentation of Outstanding Character Rendering ;)
fesworks
Charging Knight
Charging Knight

Postby Hogan » Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:26 pm

Then there will be something interesting to watch for...

I got a more than a little bit disappointed this year, as only ONE of the nominated comics was one I read, and since I don't have the time to start checking out the other ones to even get an idea of who to vote for... its probably a good thing that I totally forgot to vote...
Hogan
DM of Deities

Postby fesworks » Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:40 pm

If I see you online, I'll give you a peak at it if you promise not to tell or show anyone ;)
fesworks
Charging Knight
Charging Knight

Postby Hogan » Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:01 am

Hah! Temptation resisted! :P
Hogan
DM of Deities

Postby fesworks » Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:07 am

fesworks
Charging Knight
Charging Knight

Postby Hogan » Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:31 pm

fesworks wrote:Didn't anyone look? :P

http://ccawards.com/2008-fab14ceremony.html

Actually not, I had gotten into my head that the ceremony would be the 22th.... :?

And off course, the sole nominated comic I read didn't win... shugs :(

Hehehe... but nice appearence of jenny there :P
Hogan
DM of Deities

Return to General Webcomic Chatter